Tethering software for 645D in the pipeline

Although Pentax’s press release contains sparse details, it appears that the company has developed tethering software for its 645D medium-format camera, available for both Windows and Mac systems.

The mention of USB 2.0 compatibility as a requirement suggests USB tethering will be possible, despite no further information whether wireless transmission is also possible.

Though before existing users get too excited, the CD-ROM software’s £250 price tag may come as a bit of a blow for those anticipating a free update.

Full press release:

PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter

Exclusive image transfer software for the PENTAX 645D

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter, exclusive software for the transfer and saving of images taken with the PENTAX 645D medium-format digital SLR camera to a personal computer.

Overview

I. Available in CD-ROM format
– Transfer recorded images to a designated file on a personal computer. It is also possible to record the images simultaneously on an SD memory card installed in the camera.
– The camera’s shutter can be remotely released using the personal computer.
– Available in Japanese and English
II. Operating manual contained in the CD-ROM

Notes:
The camera’s firmware must be updated to the latest version in order to use this software. The latest firmware is contained in the CD-ROM.
With the Windows version, Microsoft’s .NET Framework 4 software must be installed on a personal computer in advance.

System requirements

Windows version:

OS
Microsoft Windows 7
With a 64-bit system, the software operates as a 32-bit application
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo processor or later (Intel Core i5 processor or later recommended)
Memory
2GB or greater (3GB or greater recommended)
HDD
More than 1GB of available disk space (additional space required for image storage)
Others
USB 2.0 port
.NET Framework 4 software

Macintosh version:

OS
Mac OS X 10.6 / 10.7
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo processor or later (Intel Core i5 processor or later recommended)
Not compatible with Power PCs
Memory
2GB or greater
HDD
More than 1GB of available disk space (additional space required for image storage)
Others
USB 2.0 port

The PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter will be available at RRPS of £249.99.