Thread: Which DSLR?

Default Which DSLR?

A few introductions first, I'm new to WDC, and really to photography in general. Prior to this I just had a standard compact; but recently have wanted to branch into photography 'proper'. As such I've been doing some research into DSLR's that suit my budget.
    Going on reviews etc. (I've not had time as yet to go to a shop and try and the cameras), I've found two cameras that I like the look of, the Nikon D3100 and the Canon EOS 550D.
    Both are around the 550 mark, a little above the 500 I'd ideally like to spend, but they do look do be very good cameras for someone in my situation. Both, of the reviews I have read, have got lots of positive feedback, with very few negative comments.

These are both from Jessops, and the D3100 comes with an 18.55mm VR Lens, and a 55-200mm non- VR lens. This costs 550
    The 550D on the other hand comes with an IS 18-55mm lens, and a free (Velbon DF-50) Tripod. This is priced at 580

Both the VR and IS on the lenses seem very useful features for a relative novice such as myself. However, as I'll likely just have my camera with me 'on the go', I probably won't get as much use out of the tripod as it's worth.

As such, is the (from what I gather) increased quality of the 550D worth the extra money compared to the D3100, which does come with a second lens?

Any help would be apprecitaed on this matter, even if it's to say that both cameras are useless!!

Cheers,
    Ed

Images

Hi and welcome. First thing to ask is what do you take pictures of . Next when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system supports your needs. Get a shortlist of cameras and then go and try them,see how they feel are buttons in the right place for you, don't settle for I will get used to it.
    As you are a novice maybe a course or two in photography basics will help too. Good luck

Images

Hi Ed.
    Welcome to the forum. I don,t think the canon is better than the Nikon they are both comparable with each other. I Would go down to a camera shop and try them both out. Take a couple of sd cards and fire off a few shots and download them to see the differences first hand. Good luck... graham

Thanks for the welcome, and the feedback folks!

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome. First thing to ask is what do you take pictures of . Next when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system supports your needs. Get a shortlist of cameras and then go and try them,see how they feel are buttons in the right place for you, don't settle for I will get used to it.
    As you are a novice maybe a course or two in photography basics will help too. Good luck
    I live in and around quite an urbanised area, so ''actual'' landscape-style shots won't feature as much. I am interested in doing black and white photography though, and is something that really appeals. I'll chat to a few friends who are big into cameras, and go down to Jessops to try some out first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi Ed.
    Welcome to the forum. I don,t think the canon is better than the Nikon they are both comparable with each other. I Would go down to a camera shop and try them both out. Take a couple of sd cards and fire off a few shots and download them to see the differences first hand. Good luck... graham
    It seems like the deciding factor really will be how they feel to use, so I think a trip to a camera shop is next on the list!
    Should the fact that the Nikon comes with an extra non-VR lens influence my choice too much?I've heard that VR is very useful- and so is it worth just buying a VR lens separately- or is the Nikon package still a good deal- as the 55-200mm VR lenses I found was upwards of 120?

Images

lenses are the thing vr/is is a good thing especially for low light also think tripod and if doing black and white you will need a photo editor, photoshop elements 9 or 10 be ok for most of your needs

Images

Hi
    Vr lenses are great for low light photography, i would rather have one and not need it as not have one and need it. Like you i am very interested in B&W photography, i use Nikon silver effex pro,it's a plugin for photoshop. It is quite expensive though around 160... graham

Images

Forgot to mention. You can download silver effex from nikon for a 15 day trial

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I do need to look into photo editing software; there was a great article in 'photography techniques' on b&w photography and editing that I really liked.
    I think I will end up with either the d3100 or the 550d. Judging by responses here, and other reviews, having a VR lenses is useful- but by no means relegates non-VR equivalents to being obselete.
    It looks like the deciding factor will be weighing up whether the Canon is worth the extra money, in comparison to the second lens that the Nikon is offering. Both by the looks of things are great entry level DSLR's, with the only major faults that I'm seeing bring to do with ergonomics- so I'll have to try them for myself.

Cheers,
    Ed

Going on the last post, does anyone have any experience with either the D3100 or the 550D?
    Also, another point I wanted to raise was that of lenses. More importantly, is it worth considering one camera over another, because it has a second lens? From what I can gather at the moment, the answer is no; as the lenses in the kits are not normally of a good quality.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
    Ed