Thread: Canon or Nikon?

Images

Question Canon or Nikon?

I like doing Landscape photography and I am trying to save up for a camera that can do wide angle, has sharp images and stabilisation plus scene mode and the opportunity to do Manuel if desired. I asked some people and there were so many conflicting opinions that i am now in a confused mess.

Should I go got Canon or Nikon? I have been told that Canon has the better lens and I will be getting either a second hand or new in January.

Many thanks and help you can help me.

Images

Hi either Nikon or canon will do the job. With a DSLR you are buying into a system so make sure it will suit your needs. Both canon and Nikon have extensive lenses that will do want you want. So get a shortlist and go and try them out and see which one suits you.

Hrmm, your description is...vague...I'd be able to tell you your perfect camera if I knew your budget, photographic knowledge, etc..
    Anyway...
    Nikon has the advantage when it comes to low light situations, having the least noisy sensors on the market helps produce the cleanest images possible
    Canon cameras are really up on resolution, with the 18mp sensors, you'll be able to capture a vast amount of detail in your images.
    Both companies do fantastic wide angle lenses, and of course theres 3rd party ones from companies like sigma and tamron.
    Third curveball option...sony! their cameras have a whole range of gizmos and gadgets that sound like they might fit your bill, tonnes of scene modes for one thing, then theres the speed of them, with newer sonys hitting from 7-12 frames per second, and the sensors are also really good in low light and have really good resolutions.
    With the advancements in camera technology nowadays, all cameras are pretty much the same, the best camera choice is the one that feels best in your hand, go have a go with some cameras in jessops and dont be afraid to ask to have a go with the expensive cameras, because its fun xD

i've just bought a Sony SLT-A55, and it has a built in panoramic function which works really quite nicely.

Images

Hi there,

From your message, I guess you are looking for a DSLR? Canon or Nikon? A question that has frustrated many people (including myself) for many years. I bought a Nikon in the end and am now a big fan of my D90. Both make great cameras and lenses so it really doesn't make a huge difference. Plus third party lenses are available for both systems too.

You havenít stated a budget but If it is an entry level camera and if it were me, I would buy a Nikon. Take a look at the D3100, a great entry-level option. Alternatively, Canon has the Eos 1100d (although I think the D3100 just trumps it). Both are great cameras, it is just I like Nikon lenses! :P

Anyway, the really important question is the lens. This is where people often make mistakes when buying for the first time. The lens is the important part. Good glass will last a lot longer than the camera. If you want to do wide-angle landscape photography then you will need a wideangle lens and this is where it can get expensive. The standard 18-55mm lens is a good, general-purpose lens but not wide enough for wide angle photography. Both Canon and Nikon have options. The Nikon 12-24mm or the 10-24 would suit an entry-level model well as would the Canon 10-22mm (if you pick Canon). Also look out for third party models. The Sigma 10-20 is supposed to be very good and WDC gave the f/3.5 version an excellent 95%! There is also the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24, which I hear, are built like tanks.

All in all, for wide angle, landscape shots; it is the lens that is important, not so much the camera. Nikon and Canon are both great and make great lenses. You must focus on the lens if you want to do wide-angle photography.

Good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Casey View Post
    Hi there,

From your message, I guess you are looking for a DSLR? Canon or Nikon? A question that has frustrated many people (including myself) for many years. I bought a Nikon in the end and am now a big fan of my D90. Both make great cameras and lenses so it really doesn't make a huge difference. Plus third party lenses are available for both systems too.

You havenít stated a budget but If it is an entry level camera and if it were me, I would buy a Nikon. Take a look at the D3100, a great entry-level option. Alternatively, Canon has the Eos 1100d (although I think the D3100 just trumps it). Both are great cameras, it is just I like Nikon lenses! :P

Anyway, the really important question is the lens. This is where people often make mistakes when buying for the first time. The lens is the important part. Good glass will last a lot longer than the camera. If you want to do wide-angle landscape photography then you will need a wideangle lens and this is where it can get expensive. The standard 18-55mm lens is a good, general-purpose lens but not wide enough for wide angle photography. Both Canon and Nikon have options. The Nikon 12-24mm or the 10-24 would suit an entry-level model well as would the Canon 10-22mm (if you pick Canon). Also look out for third party models. The Sigma 10-20 is supposed to be very good and WDC gave the f/3.5 version an excellent 95%! There is also the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24, which I hear, are built like tanks.

All in all, for wide angle, landscape shots; it is the lens that is important, not so much the camera. Nikon and Canon are both great and make great lenses. You must focus on the lens if you want to do wide-angle photography.

Good luck.
    Hi thanks for your replies. What do I need to click on to get notifications that I have a reply?

Anyway have summed up the Canon EOS 1100D, or the Nikon D3100 18-55vr Kit. I would say £300-50 is my budget (not a lot I know) I once had a Minolta Dynax which took amazing pictures. Which is the better camera please?

I'm also in the same situation as yourself; trying to pick through the multitude of DSLR's out there for the one I want! The Nikon D3100, I've found seems very good for the price that you pay for it- about £400 with the 18-55mm lens- and is one of the best entry levels it looks.
    A lot of the advice I was given though, and I'll pass on to you, was to do two things:
    First, going on your budget, and what kinds of photography you want to do, find a few cameras that suit your needs.
    Next, try them out. This is very important as, ultimately, no matter how good the camera is, if you don't like to hold/use it- you'll end up regretting buying it.

The people in stores like Jessops are really helpful I've found. Hope you find a camera that you like!

Cheers,
    Ed

Images

Hi there,

Well, I believe the Nikon D3100 is a better camera however it is also the more expensive. It is not better by much too, 14mp vs 12mp (although more megapixels do not equate exclusively to better images), 1080p movies vs 720p. The Canon also has a better AF system. So, the benefits of the Nikon are small and won't be massive in real life terms. You must ask yourself whether the benefits of the Nikon are worth going quite a bit over budget for. Do you really need all the Nikon's extra features. I mean, the D3100 is the better camera but, for you, it might not be worth it. For example, the Nikon with the 15-55mm lens here is £440:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=gbp

While the Canon 1100d with the 18-55 is only £370:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=gbp

For you, I don't think the extra features of the Nikon would be worth going almost £80 over budget. I also recommend you pay a visit to your local camera store and see what they think. Have a go of both the cameras, and get a good feel for them. This is very important. If a camera feels bad in your hands, you will not enjoy using it.

Although I'm a Nikon user, if I was in your position, I would actually go for the Canon. Unless you have your heart set on the Nikon system and it's lenses, which I personally prefer. Also, if you are really into landscapes, you will want a wide-angle lens, but that will come after you have had the camera for a while (and save up some more money I suspect :P ).

I hope this has been of help. Good luck and I hope you are happy with whatever camera you do choose.

Regards,
    Conor.