Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Default Flash Gun sync speed

Hi everyone! I do not yet own a flash gun yet, so this question might not seem so dumb! Will a dedicated flash gun increase the flash sync speed over the in camera flash? I own a nikon d70s at the moment, looking to upgrade in the near future. Thanks!

Images

Your ca,era syncs at 1/500 not sure if it has high sync feature

Images

Hi wave, not quite understanding what you mean. If i bought the nikon d7000 and nikon sb-400 flashgun, what would be the fastest flash-sync speed avaliable?

Images

hi your camera has a speed at which it syncs the d7000 will sync at speeds up to 1/250th. It doesnt matter whether it is an external or internal flash. with some flashes high speed sync is available i am not sure if the sb400 supports it

Images

If thats really the case, then im quite dissapointed. As i would like to work with flash speed 1/500secs or faster. I still find it hard to believe that the fastest flash sync speed possible on the new D7000 is only 1/250!?

Hi

I think you are confusing the Sync Speed ( maximum shutter speed for using flash) with the flash duration. To set a short duration flash, set your flash to manual, and select a low power setting. Then try to capture the short duration event you are trying to picture ( difficult part ).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Hi

I think you are confusing the Sync Speed ( maximum shutter speed for using flash) with the flash duration. To set a short duration flash, set your flash to manual, and select a low power setting. Then try to capture the short duration event you are trying to picture ( difficult part ).
    I dont have a flashgun yet. But if i wanted to freeze the wings of a fast flying insect such as a dragonfly, i still can with the newer cameras? My old D70s has a fast sync speed of 1/500secs and has been great for that.

Images

flash tends to freeze motion even at slow speeds its a strange thing but try it
    http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00L9Ux
    this links is from some one who found this

Quote Originally Posted by Jpgr31 View Post
    I dont have a flashgun yet. But if i wanted to freeze the wings of a fast flying insect such as a dragonfly, i still can with the newer cameras? My old D70s has a fast sync speed of 1/500secs and has been great for that.
    The sync speed won't make much difference, as the final exposure is controlled by the flash duration, this is why you have to set the flash to manual. Almost any reasonably specced flash will achieve what you want. I can certainly do it with my Sony A350, which only syncs at 1/250. The more powerful the flashgun the better, as it will give you more flexibility at lower power ratios. You certainly should be able to freeze dragonfly wings, getting the insect in front of your lens is much more of a challenge. Practice with water drops, to get an idea of what you are dealing with first.

Images

Im starting to feel like an idiot now even for someone whose never used a flashgun! So what you are saying is that if the flash is manually set to are fast enough duration, the camera shutter speed would not determine the overall results of the freeze motion?