Default Advice on new lens

Hi all,

I'm after some advice and hoping you can help me out.

Im looking for a new lens for my 60D. At present im shooting weddings, landscapes and candid/urban street scenes. Im after a lens with low aperture such as 2.8, well built, sharpness, colours etc etc... budget is around £300 to £500. Iv been looking at the sigma 17-70 2.8 DC HSM around the £350 mark. Has anybody had any experience with this lens? Would it be worth taking a punt on? Or would you suggest going for one of the canons? around the 2.8 to 1.4 aperture range.?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Images

Hi Lewis
    I don't have this lens but i have only heard good reports on it. You could also look at the 50mm lens. Hope this helps ... graham

Quote Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
    Hi all,

I'm after some advice and hoping you can help me out.

Im looking for a new lens for my 60D. At present im shooting weddings, landscapes and candid/urban street scenes. Im after a lens with low aperture such as 2.8, well built, sharpness, colours etc etc... budget is around £300 to £500. Iv been looking at the sigma 17-70 2.8 DC HSM around the £350 mark. Has anybody had any experience with this lens? Would it be worth taking a punt on? Or would you suggest going for one of the canons? around the 2.8 to 1.4 aperture range.?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Hi, as for Canon's 17-55mm, it retails for app £789.99 which is the f2.8 version. The slower version, f4.0-5.6 does retail for app £352.99. Quite a difference in price!. Personally, I find that my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, £499 does a great job for those wedding group photos where an amazing number of people can be included in the pic, and all without the photographer walking back half a mile. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Default Lens advice

Hi Lewis,

You donít say what existing glass youíve got at the moment, but there are a couple of options out there that you might be interested in.

If you want to improve on your existing standard zoom, then the 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is a great choice. It hasnít got the fast maximum f/2.8 aperture, but it only drops down to f/4 at the long end. Itís also got a Hypersonic motor to reduce AF noise and an Optical Stablizer (OS) to combat camera shake. On top of that, it also has a Macro function to produce almost half life-size images. Itís a very versatile lens that we scored 91%.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM is a great option for landscape photography and group shots at weddings as already mentioned, while the relatively fast maximum aperture makes it well suited to street photography.

A wildcard suggestion is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM at a shade under £500. This would be a great addition for youíre kit if youíre shooting weddings Ė especially candid shots and pics of the bride and groom. The maximum f/4 aperture not be as fast as some, but will allow you to blow the background out nicely, while results are excellent.