Images

Question Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 550D

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please be gentle on me.

Im interested in buying my first DSLR camera and i'm concidering two offers:
    Nikon D5100 + 18-55mm + 55-200 VR Lenses for 699.95
    Canon EOS 550D + 18-55mm + 55-250mm IS Zoom Lenses for 849.95

Im not much bothered in that 150 pound differnce but it offcourse would be a bonus to have them in my pocket
    my knowledge in DSLR is small, mostly its what i have read in past 5 weeks (when i decided to buy first dslr camera)
    Both models i mentioned are available in jessops now, i was concidering buying secondhand camera but my final decision is - brand new one
    I went throu loads of compact, one superzoom and one bridge camera before, but this is gonna be my first dslr as i feel its about time to go step higher as im starting to feel limited
    sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language.
    thank u for all coments.
    Last edited by J.Cop; 01-10-11 at 07:31 PM.

Images

I just found Cannon EOS 550D with both lenses (both IS) for 755.00 so price difference is just 55 pound now
    Any help would be much aprecciated.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Cop View Post
    I just found Cannon EOS 550D with both lenses (both IS) for 755.00 so price difference is just 55 pound now
    Any help would be much aprecciated.
    Hi, when I bought my Nikon D300 camera I did lots of research and looked at all the test reports, and the Nikon did seem to come out on top. I always advise people to do the same so that they make an informed decision. Also, try your chosen models out in the shop, does it feel ok in your hand, can you afford the lenses when it's time to buy a few?. In my case I know I made the right decision to buy the Nikon, it's just awesome and after nearly 4 years is totally reliable. I wouldn't change brands for anything, and also I buy Sigma lenses which are much cheaper but do a great job, hope this helps. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Default @ canismajor

thanks canismajor, i followed your advice, i went to shop today i had them both in my hands Nikon "feels" better I dont know it just fits
    I also checked some test results and comparsion tests between these two, between 550d and 600d and between d5100 and 600d, and nikon gets higher ratings (between cannons 550d was better than 600d and nikon better then both of cannons)

Thank u so much for your advice canismajor (especialy that u was the only one interesting in answering me )
    I will go for Nikon D5100 end of this week (jessops 700 pound with 2x VR lenses [18-55 and 50-200])