Default Remote control of a camera from software

Hi. Can anyone recommend a digital camera that can take high quality photos on demand? eg from a software button click. Is it even possible? Thanks in advance...

Images

I know a canon SDLR can be operated from a pc if thats what you mean

Thanks for your reply wave. Yes, I want to control the camera from a PC.

I was hoping someone would say "yes, you can do it with a Canon"!!

As luck would have it I already have a 350D. If that can do the job then great! I have a whole load of Canon software (ZoomBrowser, CameraWindow, Digital Photo Professional, RemoteCapture) etc etc but not really sure where to start. I guess RemoteCapture might be a good place. I'm at work right now and so don't have everything in front of me. Looks like I might need to ask a different question - how to do on-demand capture on Canon 350D.

Thanks again...

Images

what you need is the eos utility as you have the 350d then go to canons web site and down load the latest versions

Thanks wave, will take a look at it tonight. It's good to know that this should be do-able.

Images

The majority of modern DSLRs will perform some kind of software-driven remote control. Nikon and Canon are prime examples, but the likes of http://www.phaseone.com/Phase%20One/...ure-one-6.aspx also offer a solution that also gives an amount of functionality for portable devices to trigger the camera.

Images

Hi
    I looked into this sometime last year. I use nikon dslr's and the software from nikon was around 150 which i thought was ott... graham

The Canon website only seems to have updates rather than fresh installs. And of course I can't find the disks that came with the camera and so updates are no good for me. This seems to be a common problem. I had a bit of a look around last night and eventually found a full install for EOS Utility. Will give it a go tonight. What I'm really hoping for is that the Canon software will include DirectShow filters to control the camera. If it does I can write my own software to make it work exactly how I want.

Thanks everyone. If I get this working I'll post some details of what I did, it might be useful for someone else.

Images

contact canon and explain they will be able to help you get the original files.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi
    I looked into this sometime last year. I use nikon dslr's and the software from nikon was around 150 which i thought was ott... graham
    It is, given Canon supply the software free with their cameras.