Thread: Good Books

Default Good Books

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some good books for me to get my teeth into please?

Im after books that talk about technique, the science behind photography and books that talk about specific types of photos. I appreciate this wealth of information wont be in one neat little volulme, and am hoping to have many hours of good reading ahead of me.

So, any suggestions?

Hi Dilinja,

We're actually doing a round-up of photography books for the December issue of What Digital Camera - on sale October 28th

Excellent, I look forward to it.

In the absence of any suggestions I am reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. So far I have found it to be extremely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinja View Post
    Excellent, I look forward to it.

In the absence of any suggestions I am reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. So far I have found it to be extremely useful.
    hi Dilinja
    why read about it best way to learn is use your DSLR cor get that from any book and with it being so easy theses days if you mess up a photo you can just delete it

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Photography & Prod View Post
    hi Dilinja
    why read about it best way to learn is use your DSLR cor get that from any book and with it being so easy theses days if you mess up a photo you can just delete it
    Very good point!

My camera is always with me at the moment, I'm loving learning the manual mode, it gives you so much freedom compared to auto.

I'm reading so that I can expand my knowledge of the subject. I want to understand what it all means as well as (hopefully) catching good shots! For example, tutorials I've read that cover shot composition have been really useful to me. I'm starting to understand the difference between capturing a good shot and just a snapshot. Equally, in the book I mention above there are several techniques that I've enjoyed reading about and hope to put into action myself

Images

hi Dilinja

nice to know your getting used to your new DSLR you cant bet in my eyes taken it out of auto and diving in to manual mode i shot about 90% of my photos in manual mode. But as for reading books on how to do things i like to watch and learn before i brought my DSLR i found most of the things i learned on youtube and what other people had up loaded to video streaming sites i all ways say to any one in this world that we live in Google Search is your number 1 friend for information

all the best Russ

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    I love it! Excellent recommendation, thank you Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Photography & Prod View Post
    hi Dilinja

nice to know your getting used to your new DSLR you cant bet in my eyes taken it out of auto and diving in to manual mode i shot about 90% of my photos in manual mode. But as for reading books on how to do things i like to watch and learn before i brought my DSLR i found most of the things i learned on youtube and what other people had up loaded to video streaming sites i all ways say to any one in this world that we live in Google Search is your number 1 friend for information

all the best Russ
    You're absolutely right Russ. So far I've downloaded apps from itunes that go through the basics, started reading books on technique, been on to flickr and the AP forums to see what sorts of shots people are taking and what is classed a "good" shot as opposed to a "snap". Its a steep learning curve, but I'm relishing the challenge.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Pete