Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Driving traffic and users to the forums

    Do we have any internet clever clogs out there that have any ideas for driving more people to the forums?

    I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself in here

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    49
    Images
    1

    Default

    We're trying to be more active in here with regards to the editorial staff and, hopefully, once our users see that that will get more people in here! We do have quite a lot of users who will sign up, ask a camera question and then never come back... one of the hazards of our titled I guess!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nuttall View Post
    ... We do have quite a lot of users who will sign up, ask a camera question and then never come back... one of the hazards of our titled I guess!
    Indeed Paul, such is the way of the specialist forum. Users post their queries; if it's not resolved they don't return, if it is resolved they don't return. Problem solving is rarely an attraction in itself.

    Additionally, the vast majority of new users sign up to upload images to the comp galleries and never contribute to the forum.

    For any forum to thrive there has to be a core community that is open and, an old fashioned concept, fun to visit and frequent. I'm not suggesting this place isn't fun to visit but it hasn't quite acheived the critical mass required, yet.

    Personally, I'm not convinced the dark design helps attract or retain users, it's all a bit 'gamer' community, IMVHO.
    'The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any'. - Katharine Whitehorn

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
    Indeed Paul, such is the way of the specialist forum. Users post their queries; if it's not resolved they don't return, if it is resolved they don't return. Problem solving is rarely an attraction in itself.

    Additionally, the vast majority of new users sign up to upload images to the comp galleries and never contribute to the forum.

    For any forum to thrive there has to be a core community that is open and, an old fashioned concept, fun to visit and frequent. I'm not suggesting this place isn't fun to visit but it hasn't quite acheived the critical mass required, yet.

    Personally, I'm not convinced the dark design helps attract or retain users, it's all a bit 'gamer' community, IMVHO.
    Mine was resolved and I returned, I think I just enjoy being the exception to rules

    In another thread someone raised a similar question (I hadnt found it before I posted my own). One of the responses was that maybe all the posters had moved to AP. I did some digging and found www.AmateurPhotography.co.uk (will that get autofiltered? ). They have a year long competition for Amateur of the Year which looked really appealing. Im not suggesting you copy the format, but perhaps take it and twist it a little. They ask people to send in one picture each with a specific brief such as "nightime", "skylines", "black & white" etc. Could you guys do something similar but incorporate articles on technique and useful tips for how to take good pictures on a particular subject?

    I have some other ideas if you'd be interested in hearing them?

    Pete

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    1,150
    Images
    11

    Default

    I look in as much as possible and answer what I can, I know others do the same

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    I look in as much as possible and answer what I can, I know others do the same
    You certainly do Wave, I think you are one of the most frequent posters.

    I was just wondering if there was a way of driving new people to the site and retaining them. Its a shame to see the forums underused when there are so many knowledgeable people out there.

  7. #7

    Default

    What I said earlier notwithstanding, we do have a dedicated core of helpful forumites here, one always sees the same names answering the both the drive-by inquisitors and those of longer tenure with equanimity, which is wonderful - an inclusive rather than exclusive forum is always preferable IMO.

    I just think there's a need to build upon these solid foundations, although how is anyone's guess - I'm sure we all have ideas for improvement, but there are no sure-fire winners.
    'The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any'. - Katharine Whitehorn

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
    I just think there's a need to build upon these solid foundations, although how is anyone's guess - I'm sure we all have ideas for improvement, but there are no sure-fire winners.
    I agree. As mentioned before, I'd be happy to offer any help I can. I may not know much about photography (yet ) but I do know about forums!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    1,150
    Images
    11

    Default

    For the most part people come here to get answers now the more people who can answer the better as we dont all know everything. what we need to do is once we see a question is to answer it as quick as we can then that person may ask another question and they will ask it here. With a bit of luck they may stick around.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    London and Barcelona
    Posts
    25
    Images
    55

    Default

    I've got some experience about this from another life. Would recommend the following; http://www.scribd.com/doc/21797466/C...Of-A-Moderator

    It's basically about forum dynamics and how to encourage and maintain a thriving, friendly atmosphere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •