Hybrid View

Images

Default Nikon Micro-Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED f/2.8 G VR N Review

I have for years stuck with manual focus prime lenses; they are small, lightweight, and optically fast. Typically Iíve been shooting with lenses at f2 or better while Nikonís AF range has largely been designed at f2.8 maximum aperture. I just bought a D2x and wanted to see what a modern lens would do for me, what 20+ years of technology really gives us. So I invested in a Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED G VR N Micro. Much bulkier than my AI-S version, but it sits well on the large D2x body. Focus is fast, with minimum hunting. VR works really well. Results are crackingly sharp. A real wrench for me moving from manual focus, but I donít regret it. Pros: Fast optically and mechanically, very sharp. Cons: Bulky for a smaller camera, gelded, and now I want to spend thousands on more of Nikonís modern range of lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by AntSmith View Post
    I have for years stuck with manual focus prime lenses; they are small, lightweight, and optically fast. Typically Iíve been shooting with lenses at f2 or better while Nikonís AF range has largely been designed at f2.8 maximum aperture. I just bought a D2x and wanted to see what a modern lens would do for me, what 20+ years of technology really gives us. So I invested in a Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED G VR N Micro. Much bulkier than my AI-S version, but it sits well on the large D2x body. Focus is fast, with minimum hunting. VR works really well. Results are crackingly sharp. A real wrench for me moving from manual focus, but I donít regret it. Pros: Fast optically and mechanically, very sharp. Cons: Bulky for a smaller camera, gelded, and now I want to spend thousands on more of Nikonís modern range of lenses.
    Hi there, I do understand how you feel about the Nikkor lenses, my mouth waters each time I feast my eyes on them. Because of the cost though I usually choose Sigma lenses because the ones I've got do a sterling job and always impress with the quality of their images. If I ever came into a lot of money I would be on the next train to London and straight into Grays of Westminster and make my dreams come true. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Am I right in understanding from this thread that Nikkor make industry leading glass?

I have a Canon and was going to stick to buying Canon glass. Is that a mistake? Should I save up and get myself a Nikkor instead?

Images

Hi If you put a Nikon lens on a Canon, i think you will also need a T mount... graham

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi If you put a Nikon lens on a Canon, i think you will also need a T mount... graham
    I think more research is the order of the day here. I did some digging and found out that Nikkor lenses are Nikon lenses. Can you tell Im new to all this?

Thanks for the info Graham.

Images

Yes Nikkor lenses are built to fit on Nikon cameras Each camera maker has it's own lens mount... graham

Images

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    No, a T mount won't help - a mount adaptor will, though.