Default So what does everyone think of the new Nikon Compact System Cameras?

Nikon has launched a new CSC system, the Nikon 1, with two initial models, the J1 and V1. What do you think? Has Nikon got it right? Would you want one?

For those who haven't seen them, here's our First Look http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/vid...irst-look.html.

Images

Interesting offerings. I suspect they need to be cheaper, but I think Nikon have been quite clever to go for a slightly smaller sensor than the competition, thus much smaller lenses than the ridiculous Sony Nex ones, for example, to make the whole package more portable whilst still allowing respectable quality.

Images

Hi
    I have concerns with the battery.I don't know how long it will run if you put a large AFS lens with the mount included... graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Certainly the V1 looks interesting, and might be tempting if I hadn't already bought into Panny/MFT.

What is the target market? The consumer is going to take some convincing that a system better than hi-end compacts but simpler/easier than DSLRs warrants a price premium way above that for a twin-lens entry level DSLR (such as the D3100) kit - a criticism for most CSC offerings,not just that from Nikon.

Images

After briefly seeing it in person and having a play I must say the build and look is far better than a number of the pictures let on. I'm yet to formulate a proper opinion though, as I'll need to see the images, but it feels as substantial to me as the majority of other CSC models.

Images

I'm not a traditionalist(my first ever camera being a digital compact), but I really prefer the intimate feeling of taking a picture through a optical viewfinder. My ever increasing wish for a "enthusiast" compact with a decent viewfinder is dwindling as speedily as the development size of cameras. I cant help but feel the consumers demand for smaller "gadgets", is having a negative effect on photography. Or maybe i really am just old fashioned?

Images

Am I right to say neither of them has a manual mode. If not, then I am not that impressed,,,

Images

Am I right to say neither of them has a manual mode? If not, then I am not that impressed... I know the build and image quality will be top drawer. However to me, they seem to be just expensive, high-end compacts with a few bells and whistles with which you can change lenses. And they are expensive.

I also have to question their target market I mean who is it? Is it the same as the Sony NEX series? I don't think so because of the smaller sensor (which, in fairness, does take off some of the bulk). I just am failing to understand some of it. It is a smaller sensor camera, which is quite expensive. I know if I was looking for a camera like this, the NEX and it's larger sensor would be my choice. The bulk wouldn't bother me too much.

I am very disappointed there is no manual mode. I would find it quite frustrating to use with the absence of the good old "M". With the price, I'd expect a manual mode. That is a big drawback for me. The viewfinder looks good though.

It is an interesting one. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy either one, even if I was in the market for a small mirrorless camera. I really like the Sony mirrorless cameras however, there is no doubt the markets are different. I think it will be interesting to see how it sells...

Images

Hi
    I think there is manual mode on them but you have to access it through the menus
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams