Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinja View Post
    John Lewis are rarely the cheapest option

If you shop around you can find the Canon 1100D from reputable sellers roughly 100 cheaper than JL. I recently bought a Canon 60D body from Digital Rev through eBay. The price was 300 cheaper than quoted on the Canon website...

For lenses I can only really recommend what I know, and I was recommended by this site to get a 50mm lens. I sprung for the 50mm 1.4f (roughly 250 on eBay) and I have been amazed by the quality. I am told that the next 50mm down (the 1.8f) is also an extremely good lens and you can pick those up for around 70 off of eBay.

You'll need a memory card if you dont already have one. Check what format the 1100D takes before buying but I imagine it will be the same across the range. My 60D takes SD cards. I'd recommend you get at least 4gig (bare minimum imo) but buy as big as you can. I went for a 16 gig and that can hold roughly 1500 pictures at max resolution (give or take).

Hope this helps.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Having had a look on ebay and the digital rev website it seems that the lower prices ones are kiss or rebel models. does that mean there imported from Japan and american and would this be an issue if they were? Also i have seem quite a few refurbished ones on ebay but would be worried if i got one with damage/scratches.

Thanks again for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Having had a look on ebay and the digital rev website it seems that the lower prices ones are kiss or rebel models. does that mean there imported from Japan and american and would this be an issue if they were? Also i have seem quite a few refurbished ones on ebay but would be worried if i got one with damage/scratches.

Thanks again for the information.
    Steer clear of kiss models as these are copies rather than actual canon cameras. In the description it will say something like "Canon EOS 1100D Kiss (similar spec to 1100D)". To be avoided at all costs. As for the Rebel models, I believe Rebel is a naming convention Canon used on their 500D and 550D ranges (although it may be on more than just those 2 models). Could be that the seller has got confused and just liked the name Rebel so added it on, or it could be that I'm confused and Canon call all of their cameras Rebels

Also steer clear of refurbs. I dont know about you, but personally, when I spend this sort of money on something I want it brand spanking new.

I've just had a look on eBay and found an 1100D for under 300 (body only) that was neither a kiss or a rebel model. I'd post a link but I dont want to usher you down one particular road, or towards one particular seller. What I will say though is that if you do buy from eBay always do your research. Make sure the seller has a good reputation and check out any negative feedback they've had. Double check then triple check the listing. Make sure it is brand new, that VAT and shipping costs dont push the price back up and most important of all, that they have payment protection and a robust returns policy. The last thing you want is a dud that you cant return.

All of that doom and gloom said I can vouch for eBay. I've bought hundreds of things (including my camera and lens last week, both were UK versions shipped from Hong Kong) and despite the odd hiccup have always ended up with either a quality product or a refund and apology.

Happy shopping!

Images

Not a problem Dilinja. It's nice to be able to visualise what the letters and numbers mean!

It certainly is

I'm also hoping it will prove to be an invaluable aid when trying to convince my wife why I really really need new glass

Images

Steer clear of kiss models as these are copies rather than actual canon cameras. In the description it will say something like "Canon EOS 1100D Kiss (similar spec to 1100D)". To be avoided at all costs.
    Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense. "Kiss" is the Japanese model names for what the Americans call "Rebels" and we know as the xxxxD or xxxD ranges. There is one slight difference with "Kiss" models compared to European or US models - the only choices for the menu languages are Japanese and English. Aside from that, and the model name, the cameras are identical and are made in the same factories, by Canon.

Also steer clear of refurbs. I dont know about you, but personally, when I spend this sort of money on something I want it brand spanking new.
    I've bought several refurbished DSLRs from the Canon ebay outfit, and a few other refurbished cameras through other sources. They're indistinguishable from new, including warranty, they just cost less and have had problems ironed out. I would always look there first, I think it's insane to rule out such a great source.

Buying from a lot of other sources on ebay such as foreign sellers involves buying unofficial or "grey" imports. Canon will cover the warranty on the cameras, but not the lenses. Additionally, anything shipped from abroad is liable to VAT and possibly import duties. It's a criminal offence to try to avoid this, and Revenue and Customs have wide-ranging powers to come after you without any time limit. Personally, I think that makes that kind of purchase for a high-ticket item too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense. "Kiss" is the Japanese model names for what the Americans call "Rebels" and we know as the xxxxD or xxxD ranges. There is one slight difference with "Kiss" models compared to European or US models - the only choices for the menu languages are Japanese and English. Aside from that, and the model name, the cameras are identical and are made in the same factories, by Canon.
    Ah, thank you for the explanation. When I was buying mine I found a number of websites selling kiss models that didnt fill me with confidence that they were genuine. I understand now that the broken English was simply because it wasnt the writers first language, and not because it was a suspect website, so thank you for clearing that up for me.

I've bought several refurbished DSLRs from the Canon ebay outfit, and a few other refurbished cameras through other sources. They're indistinguishable from new, including warranty, they just cost less and have had problems ironed out. I would always look there first, I think it's insane to rule out such a great source.
    Each to their own on this own I feel. When spending this sort of money I always like my kit (and thats not just limited to cameras) to be new.

Buying from a lot of other sources on ebay such as foreign sellers involves buying unofficial or "grey" imports. Canon will cover the warranty on the cameras, but not the lenses. Additionally, anything shipped from abroad is liable to VAT and possibly import duties. It's a criminal offence to try to avoid this, and Revenue and Customs have wide-ranging powers to come after you without any time limit. Personally, I think that makes that kind of purchase for a high-ticket item too risky.
    I agree, but thats why I would say only buy from highly rated power sellers on eBay. These sellers sell genuine product as opposed to grey imports.

Please dont think I was advising anyone try to avoid paying VAT?! I was trying to highlight that a number of sellers dont display the VAT value until you reach the checkout. Therefore the low price you find on a google search will not be the price you ultimately end up paying.

When it comes to import duties I totally agree. I would never suggest anyone tries to avoid paying these and myself paid them for both my camera body and lens. That said, even with duties paid the price was somewhat cheaper than any seller in the UK.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

I have now deceived to get the 1100d as it was just about the right price for me. In need of some accessories now though. Ill eventually get the canon 50mm lenses so then i have the stock lens and 50mm one. Then really im after a bag for the camera. Can you get ones where you can store the camera with a lenses attached then with another lens aswell? would be very usefull if you can as im not really into taking lenses off all the time. Then i think thats about it i have a 8GB card and a joby gorillapod.

Images

I agree, but thats why I would say only buy from highly rated power sellers on eBay. These sellers sell genuine product as opposed to grey imports..
    No, not true. The vast majority are grey imports. That's not to say that the sellers aren't reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    No, not true. The vast majority are grey imports. That's not to say that the sellers aren't reputable.
    Thank you for the correction. What is the problem with grey imports? (I ask because I genuinely dont know) Is it the warranty and how can I tell if my camera is a grey import or not?