Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter DSLR

Default Starter DSLR

Basically im going to start this thread with my situation. Im new to photography with DSLR's but have used a http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin.../dp/B0000C6LQN for my fishing photos and the car shows i went to this year (modified nationals and PVS) I felt the camera was ok but i was limited with what i could do. I often ended up with blurly pictures when indoors also. The camera is quite highly rated but its getting abit old now and i didnt pay for the camera anyway. Heres a picture i took with the camera.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Im now after a DSLR. To start my brother has a canon 400D so i know what the cameras are about and have general information on them and have seen many of the pictures they can produce. After looking round i would love a canon 550D but its just abit too much for me at the minute with saving for mods for my car and paying out for other items insurance was 2100 :shock: but anyway after having a quick look around im not after going second hand and cant really save more than 500 so im really looking at the entry level cameras. Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100 ect. This is where you guys come in. Im after a camera that has a high enough resolution for things like my desktop wallpaper (1680x1050) and for working on photoshop with. Also just getting used to the features and generally enjoying taking photos and messing around with it. Im also not certain on weather to get a body or one with a lens. I know my brother changed his lens pretty much straight away and he doesnt use the stock lens much now. Having video recording in HD would be a bonus as i would use it but not all the time.

I think thats about it really if you guys need any more info then let me know and hopefully this thread can help others who are planning on getting on the bandwagon. Thanks

Images

Hi and welcome its not easy to say get this get that with a DSLR you buy into a system so it has to be right. I would say go and try theses cameras se how they feel in your hand dont! say I will get used to it. From what you have said I would get the 550d amazon are dong it plus a kit lens 525. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome its not easy to say get this get that with a DSLR you buy into a system so it has to be right. I would say go and try theses cameras se how they feel in your hand dont! say I will get used to it. From what you have said I would get the 550d amazon are dong it plus a kit lens 525. Good luck
    This advice is totally right, but I will say the 550d has baad ergonomics in my case, I have huge keyboard playing hands though so yknow

BTW, keep your horizons straight, pictures on an angle barely ever work, as is kind of the case with the car pic

Firstly, any DSLR and even any compact is easily capable producing pictures of high enough resolution for desktop wallpaper, so no worries there.

If you live close to your brother and are able to swap/borrow lenses with him then it makes sense to buy a Canon. The EOS 550D is good but if you're just taking pictures like the one you posted then even the EOS 1100D would be more than adequate and its cheaper.

Apart from Canon your options are:

Nikon D3100 - Better build quality than the Canon and good user interface for beginners, but Canon pips it for image quality.

Sony Alpha 35 - very high spec for around the same price as Canon 550D. You get 7fps burst shooting with continuous AF and probably the best image quality of the lot. You might not like the electronic viewfinder but if you do you'll be able to use it for video too, which is a big plus.

Pentax K-r - This wins on the value for money front, as you can buy it as a twin lens kit with the telezoom as well for under 500. It has a high burst mode, high ISO range and high resolution LCD screen among other things so you get a lot for your money.

The most important thing is to try them in your hand before buying, as different people get on better with certain systems. If you've used the Canon and like the feel then that may be the logical choice.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the canon would be the best bet for me as like you said i can swap the lenses with my brother and im mainly after image quality. ill go try some other ones out anyway to see if there any better.

What do you think about buying the camera get it now or wait till the Christmas and new year price drops? This is the cheapest i have found it http://www.johnlewis.com/231212774/P...x?source=63258

Thanks

Images

What Christmas and New Year price drops? Cameras often go UP in price for Christmas.

Always worth checking http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Can...I_lens_pc.html for the lowest prices, but certainly John Lewis look competitive, and it's a safe place to buy. Buy it now, and you'll have several months worth of use before Christmas - what is that worth to you?

Ill be getting it next week then! does anyone know the difference between the lenses? I have come across about three different types of the camera with different lenses attached

Also do you guys recommend any extras for the camera? memory sticks ect also what lenses would you recommend for my work which is normally quite close up so wouldn't be needing a zoom lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the canon would be the best bet for me as like you said i can swap the lenses with my brother and im mainly after image quality. ill go try some other ones out anyway to see if there any better.

What do you think about buying the camera get it now or wait till the Christmas and new year price drops? This is the cheapest i have found it http://www.johnlewis.com/231212774/P...x?source=63258

Thanks
    John Lewis are rarely the cheapest option

If you shop around you can find the Canon 1100D from reputable sellers roughly 100 cheaper than JL. I recently bought a Canon 60D body from Digital Rev through eBay. The price was 300 cheaper than quoted on the Canon website...

For lenses I can only really recommend what I know, and I was recommended by this site to get a 50mm lens. I sprung for the 50mm 1.4f (roughly 250 on eBay) and I have been amazed by the quality. I am told that the next 50mm down (the 1.8f) is also an extremely good lens and you can pick those up for around 70 off of eBay.

You'll need a memory card if you dont already have one. Check what format the 1100D takes before buying but I imagine it will be the same across the range. My 60D takes SD cards. I'd recommend you get at least 4gig (bare minimum imo) but buy as big as you can. I went for a 16 gig and that can hold roughly 1500 pictures at max resolution (give or take).

Hope this helps.

Images

Dilinja's advice is all sound, and it's important to understand focal length before you go and purchase a lens. This tool from from Canon is very useful when it comes to getting a visualisation of each focal length...

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EF...al_length.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nuttall View Post
    Dilinja's advice is all sound, and it's important to understand focal length before you go and purchase a lens. This tool from from Canon is very useful when it comes to getting a visualisation of each focal length...

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EF...al_length.html
    Thats an excellent tool! Thanks for that Paul. It has helped me make my mind up as to what glass I buy next