Images

Default New Nikon V1 and J1

This morning's announcement of two new Nikon CSC models (http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...announced.html) has added yet another lens mount to the growing number of removable lens cameras. Both the V1 and J1 support the '1' system from Nikon, and sport a new sensor capable of some impressive feats.

What do we think of the new system? Will it revolutionise the camera market, or simply add another two models to an already overcrowded market?

And, more importantly, does anyone actually want to buy it?

Time will tell, but Nikon's thinking here is more in tune with the Pentax Q. Perhaps this is even more like what the Pentax Q should have been (in terms of sensor size).

The concern is with 2/3in (Q), 1in (CX), Micro Four Thirds and APS-C (E-mount and NX mount) that the whole 'Compact System Camera' market is now a little more confusing than before. In fact it's splintering into a variety of different camera types all under one roof.

Wonder what Canon's solution will be...?

Images

From reading up on the pair, it sounds like they're going to have some interesting imaging tools. However, if the camera is going to be doing a lot of the work, much like iAuto modes on a compact, I'm a bit worried that the price tag could put them out of reach of the target market.

Images

Obviously we'll be getting a sample in too, not to mention a hands on preview of both models, but until then I'm intruigued to see how the various claims relating to the sensor wil translate into image quality. A number of cameras offer ridiculous burst rates, but without the sensor size the results are either noisy or smudged by post processing.

I've just come back from the UK launch - there's definitely been a lot of thought and time gone into these new cameras.

I can see what they're trying to do - hitting the sweet spot of compact body, small lenses and decent image quality. Some would say this hasn't quite been achieved yet with other systems.

We'll hopefully have a full review sample soon to put both models through their paces.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Obviously we'll be getting a sample in too, not to mention a hands on preview of both models, but until then I'm intruigued to see how the various claims relating to the sensor wil translate into image quality. A number of cameras offer ridiculous burst rates, but without the sensor size the results are either noisy or smudged by post processing.
    Great to see posts from the team at WDC, please keep it up. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Interesting - yes. Depending on reviews and hands-on feel the system may be tempting and appealing. At least MFT was/is an open format, but now we're rapidly into the old OEM-unique route, making it unlikely that Sigma/Tamron etc will support many of these various mounts. I have bought into Panasonic-variant MFT (with a choice of lenses and the promise of support from Sigma), so its very unlikely I'll consider trading all that kit to move to another OEM's CSC mount.

While acknowledging there is a premium for new systems, for me the problem with all CSC offerings is excessive cost; I'm really not sure what the target market is for a twin-lens kit costing just under 1K.

Images

I am sure Canon will respond to this big launch date november? or maybe thats the 5d3.
    There is going to be room in the market for these type cameras along with DSLR's and P&S. they just give the public another choice and in the end some models will fail and others will build on there strenghs. Interesting times ahead

Images

It's hard to escape that the real excitement with regards to Nikon is about the Nikon D700 replacement. If it's anywhere near as good as the D700, it's sure to be a winner.