Default Nikon 55-200 or 55-300?

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to DSLRs and have a d5000 which I got last year. I've stayed with the 18-55mm kit lens so far as I couldn't afford a larger zoom. Now I can, I am unsure whether to go for the 55-200mm which is around 150 or the more expensive 55-300mm at 230.

I can afford the bigger lens but would I be better off with the 55-200mm and then maybe getting a bigger lense say 70-300mm (or more) later on?

We go to Chester Zoo a lot and so it is wildlife shots that I am most interested in taking with the zoom lens.

Thanks for any help on this

Azz.

Images

Hi Azz
    The two lenses you mention are good lenses, but the 70-300 is a superior lens.I would be temped to get the 200 & wait on the 70-300. Hope this helps... graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Hi Azz,

Graham is right, I have been pondering this myself for awhile now, the 70-300 is better, but quite a lot more expensive.

I have decided to go for the 55-300 so I hope its a good lenses,

I am also going to upgrade to the D5000 from the D40, I look at nearly every Nikon in my price range, and think I have made my mind up.

how you finding the Camera?

Dave.

Hi Both,

There is never a simple answer is there!

I've plumped for the 55-300mm as it will hopefully take me where I want to be for the short term and its affordable.

The d5000 is fantastic, its our first dSLR and the quality of pictures compared to what we are used to is amazing. It has great editing capability built into the camera which we have been using and I would receommend it - If you want HD video recording there may be better (but more expensive options out there e.g. the d5100).

Thanks

Azz

Images

Hi Azz
    Glad you got sorted out. The 55-300 should take you where you want to go. Remember to post some photos on the site. Good luck .. graham

Thanks Graham, took some fantastic pictures of the cheetahs at Chester Zoo, will put them on the site - very impressed with the lens, but realising that taking pictures of the kids with the zoom is not really on so will also need to use the kit lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Azzer View Post
    Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to DSLRs and have a d5000 which I got last year. I've stayed with the 18-55mm kit lens so far as I couldn't afford a larger zoom. Now I can, I am unsure whether to go for the 55-200mm which is around 150 or the more expensive 55-300mm at 230.

I can afford the bigger lens but would I be better off with the 55-200mm and then maybe getting a bigger lense say 70-300mm (or more) later on?

We go to Chester Zoo a lot and so it is wildlife shots that I am most interested in taking with the zoom lens.

Thanks for any help on this

Azz.
    Hi, like you I also visit Chester Zoo and I find that my Sigma 120-400mm does a great job which I use on my Nikon D300. it's also great for sport and it cost a lot less than the Nikon equivalent, but still provides great images. I visit Oulton Park and shoot the motor cycle racing and some of my images can be seen in the gallery. So in my humble opinion, the Sigma 120-400mm is a cracking lens. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi Azzer
    Looking forward to seeing them... graham