Thread: After the D90

clacton on sea.. the eastbourne of east anglia.
    Images

Default After the D90

Hi all, I have just lost my D90 and basically am afteer some advice as to what to replace it with.. I am what you may call an enthusiastic amateur..
    I have in the past used everything from a zenit to a minolta most recently a D50 then the D90.. I do still have my beloved Tamron 90mm so need to have same fit.. I was wondering about the 5100 which seems to have favorable reviews, or to replace like for like.. I had no problems with the D90 .
    I do have to stick to the budget of between 500-650 so thats also an issue ..
    I do hope someone can offer me a clue.. thanks so much for your time..
    sandra

Quote Originally Posted by daisiemaetulip View Post
    Hi all, I have just lost my D90 and basically am afteer some advice as to what to replace it with.. I am what you may call an enthusiastic amateur..
    I have in the past used everything from a zenit to a minolta most recently a D50 then the D90.. I do still have my beloved Tamron 90mm so need to have same fit.. I was wondering about the 5100 which seems to have favorable reviews, or to replace like for like.. I had no problems with the D90 .
    I do have to stick to the budget of between 500-650 so thats also an issue ..
    I do hope someone can offer me a clue.. thanks so much for your time..
    sandra
    Hi, as a Nikon owner myself, (D300) I understand how you feel about the loss of your camera, however, if I was in your place I would opt for the D90 again. Park Cameras are selling it for 539.99 and if you check out the review for the D3100 it indicates that this camera is aimed at the beginner, which clearly you are not.
    All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi Daisiemae, welcome to the forum
    I agree with Mike. If you don't use the built in lens motor or the top monitor that's on the d90, and will use a swivel screen then consider the d5100. I think the real upgrade from the d90 is the d7000. Hope this helps ... graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Default Nex-5N

I've sold my D90 and am about to replace it with an Sony nex-5N. Same area size sensor but with 16 Mp and reasonable lenses but the big advantage is the compactness of the camera compared to the D90 - worth a look!

clacton on sea.. the eastbourne of east anglia.
    Images

thanks guys.. pretty much how i feel tbh.. i had no problems with the D90 and think i will just replace it.. thanks so much x

If you got on with the D90 and can pick it up for a good price, then go for it.

That said, the D5100, while sitting below it in the Nikon line-up, does deliver the better image quality thanks to the excellent 16.2MP chip that's also used in the D7000. It doesn't have quite the same enthusiast-focus as the D90 - that's the D7000's territory, but a great camera none-the-less.