Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi i suggest that you put the camera in av mode this is where you set the aperture. Now set a low number f3.5 is your lowest with a kit 18-55 lens. Now do you want to take these pics in doors if so when then enter the realms of flash or no flash. I would try out doors first to eliminate the need for flash.
    Im a bit confused on this advise as i too own the same camera

Im looking at the manual and it suggest f16. Ive tried both the settings and Im not getting a blurred background

Images

Hi
    You wont get a blurred background with a setting like F16. If you want to blur background use a set your camera 3.5 zoom in as far as the lens will go the number will change to something like 5.6 and take the shot . A good way try this is focus on something quite close ,half press the shutter then move the camera still with the shutter half pressed and take something quite far away and it should be blurred.http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gal...imageuser=2689 Here is a link of a photo taken about 5.6 Hope this helps... graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi
    focus on something quite close ,half press the shutter then move the camera still with the shutter half pressed and take something quite far away and it should be blurred.http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gal...imageuser=2689 Here is a link of a photo taken about 5.6 Hope this helps... graham
    Sorry mate the way i read this might make me sound dopey.

Do you mean focus on something else upclose then aim at something else ?
    Sorry if that sounds daft but you say focus on something close then in the same sentence take something far away

Images

Yes . If you focus on something close that's in focus then with your finger still half pressed take a shot of something in the distance it will be out of focus so in effect you will have a blurred background. I will take one tomorrow to show you what i mean... graham

Images

Hi Thatbloke. .
    The link is a photo of what i mean i half pressed the camera shutter button to focus on the brown dog(Judy) then with the shutter button still half pressed i changed the composition to encompass the white dog (Charlie). The camera was still focused on Judy which made Charlie out of focus
    http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gal...imageuser=2689

The photo was taken on holiday a few years ago when i was starting with digital cameras... graham

Sorry for the noobish post but I would like to know if anyone has gotten dslr camera gear from http://www.habbycam.com I hear great things. I have my eye on their dslr cage to use with my 7D. Looks nnice!

Quote Originally Posted by canismajor View Post
    A lens will not do it for you as human input is required with a DSLR. Sure you can place the camera in AUTO mode or PROGRAM, and it will take a picture choosing the settings which are appropriate for the conditions.
    However, when personal requirements are needed then you must 'tell' the camera what you need and make your own selection of aperture and shutter speeds. Some photographers choose to mostly shoot in MANUAL mode and do this all the time. As long as you keep checking that the exposure will be ok then it's up to you what settings you choose. Keep trying, we've all been there. All the best.
    Baby shots usually are preferred as a sharp baby but a so called bokeh for the background. You need a knowledge of DOF which is decided by your lens focal length. There are many guides for this.