Default Compact for low light?

Hi all, I'm a photographic numpty with no artistic ability who just wants to take reasonable holiday photo's. I'm looking for advice for a compact that will take good low light pictures without flash.
    My holiday snaps this year were very poor due to not being permitted to use flash inside historic buildings etc.
    My present camera is a Fujifilm A850 which seems generally OK, apart from the low light problem. Is there something to look for in the specifications or is it just a matter of a point & shoot won't do the job.
    TIA

markmarkw

Images

Hi Mark
    Your fuji will give you perfectly fine photos in good light, but because of the sensor size of your camera you will struggle in low light with no flash. Hope this helps ... graham
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

If your budget will stretch to about 220 pounds sterling, look no further than the Nikon P300. This is a superb low light compact camera, that will fit in your top pocket and allow you to discover your creative talents..

The biggest influence on the low light performance is the physical size of the sensor. Since compact cameras have very small sensors their low light image quality wll never match that of a DSLR, for example, but some of the more expensive enthusiast-orientated compacts have larger than average compact sensors, though these mostly tend to cost over 300.

Other influencing factors are the maximum aperture of the lens, the use of backlit CMOS sensors instead of CCDs, and the processing.

I don't know what your budget is but as far as good sensor/processor combinations go I can recommend any of the Canon range that has an HS in the name. These are among the best low light performers. Sony's Exmor/Bionz based cameras are also pretty good.

Images

Hi one I will throw into the pot is a canon g11 or g12 it has the advantage that it has a lot of manual control as well. You never know we could get you onto the road for a DSLR

Hi, thanks to you all for your advice. Looks like I'll have to start saving up or perhaps try to win one.
    Thanks again
    markmarkw