Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extender Canon EOS help Please

Hi all

Ive not long brought a Sigma 70- 200mm F2.8 Lens
    on a website ive seen for sale a Sigma AF 2X EX DG Extender Canon EOS
    am i right in thinking that this would give my lens a focal length of 400mm then have to x it by 1.6x as im on a 500D APS-C sensor
    giving me a FOVCF of 640mm is this right in the way ive worked it out

hope some one on the forum knows about Extenders

cheers Russ

Images

Hi Russ
    Sorry i just noticed this post. I have a Kenko x2 tc when i put it on my 200mm nikon fit lens i get 400mm plus 1.5 giving a 600mm zoom. Got to say though i find the photos a wee bit soft... graham

Images

Hi I think you are right but you loose 2 stops in aperture too

hi graham & wave

thanks for the reply's guys but i went and brought it i waited a few days to see if anyone replied but it came at the right price so i could not wait any longer so i took the gamble as they say
    and yep graham i see what you mean about being soft i tried some shots with it and with out it fitted but still cheaper for me at the moment to do it this way then buy say the sigma 150 - 500mm or the sigma 50 - 500mm
    thanks again guys
    cheers Russ

Images

I've used a version of this lens with the 1.4x for about 10 years - it's not a bad combination, almost certainly a lot better than the 2x. A bit soft until you stop it down a couple of stops.

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    I've used a version of this lens with the 1.4x for about 10 years - it's not a bad combination, almost certainly a lot better than the 2x. A bit soft until you stop it down a couple of stops.
    hi NRoberts

yep i found that them being soft just some thing else to throw in my bag if i need it thanks for the comments
    guys

russ

Quick question, is it worth me buying an extender or should I save up to get a lens with the range I want?

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinja View Post
    Quick question, is it worth me buying an extender or should I save up to get a lens with the range I want?
    hi Dilinja

would help if we know what you had in the fist place then i could say if it was worth you buying a extender

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Photography & Prod View Post
    hi Dilinja

would help if we know what you had in the fist place then i could say if it was worth you buying a extender
    lol Please forgive my novice question

At the moment I only have a Canon 50mm 1.4. The next glass I will buy is the 15-85mm but after that I want a telephoto...

I was wondering whether it was worth getting something smaller with an extender, or whether I should save up and just getting glass that gives me the equivalent focal length all on its own. Does the quality degrade noticably if you use an extender?

Many thanks

Images

Canon's extenders are the best there are, but they only work with L series telephotos of 135mm and above, and most L series tele zooms except the 70-300 L IS. So basically they're no help to you. Cheaper teleconverters are not as good optically, so won't give you a great result, particularly if you pair them with cheaper zooms - the quality really does degrade. As a rule of thumb, always use the lowest-power extender/converter you can - i.e. a 1.4x for best quality.