Thread: photoshop

Default photoshop

Hi can anyone out there help me please
    I use a Nikon D60 and Adobe photoshop elements 4 (had it for years ! )
    While reading WDC and other mags they all extoll the virtues of shooting in RAW - up to recently I have only used JPEG - however when I tried to get my RAW pictures into elements 4 it didnt want to know.
    Is there something that I am not doing to make this work ?
    Also I was thinking of asking santa for elements 9 - would my Raw pictures load straight into elements 9 ?

Images

Adobe updates the camera raw plug-in continuously, to support new cameras as they come to market. Usually three to four times a year, sometimes more.
    But......when a new version of the actual program (Photoshop or PSE) is released, the camera raw plug-in is no longer updated for the outgoing version.
    Unfortunately for you, the first update to support your D60 was 4.4.1.......and was only compatible with PSE5 and later.

You would be able to open/process your raw files in any PSE version from 5 and up. So yes, your raw pictures will load straight into elements 9 !

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
    Hi can anyone out there help me please
    I use a Nikon D60 and Adobe photoshop elements 4 (had it for years ! )
    While reading WDC and other mags they all extoll the virtues of shooting in RAW - up to recently I have only used JPEG - however when I tried to get my RAW pictures into elements 4 it didnt want to know.
    Is there something that I am not doing to make this work ?
    Also I was thinking of asking santa for elements 9 - would my Raw pictures load straight into elements 9 ?
    Hi Brian. I use a Nikon D300 and have only ever used it in jpeg mode. The quality of my images to me seem very satisfactory, and as I'm not clever with the editing software such as Photoshop, prefer to leave my camera as it is. Yes I also read how the experts use RAW and cannot argue with that being just an amateur myself. My view is that if someone is clever enough to use this software all well and good, but if not why worry, our cameras are capable of taking very good images in jpeg, and if only slight tweaking is required then Picasa can step in for things like sharpening, cropping etc. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

hi Brian

Adobe all so do a great bit of software called Lightroom. Every image i take in Raw Formate which as a lot of people will tell you gives you the upper hand when getting the best out of your images it does take a bit more work doing your images later on a pc but with lightroom i can edit all my images at once using this software as its Raw plugin its the same as the one found in Photoshop CS5 were the Raw plugin in photoshop elements is a cut down version. On the web there are a lot of sites showing people what you can do using lightroom only time i send my images to photoshop is if i need to make some kind of edit or to remove some thing that i cant do in lightroom.
    A example i took not long back 997 images at a air show using lightroom i edited all my raw files in just 1 day it took me more time to up load them to my facebook page and Flickr page then edit them
    hope this can be some help to you Brain all the best
    Russ

Images

Hi Brian
    you can download a dng converter from adobe, that will open any raw file into elements... good luck. graham
    Last edited by graham_c; 19-08-11 at 02:30 PM.
    There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.. Ansel Adams

You should look into adobe lightroom, its affordable, incredibly easy to use, can open and edit edit RAW files, a really good thing to have

For those wondering about RAW's advantages, the files contain much more information than JPEG's, for example, if there was a part of an image thats really dark, if you tried brightening it as a JPEG you wouldnt get very far, but if you shot RAW youd be able to bring back detail you never thought possible

Images

with elements 9 you should get RAW to load ok into ACR