Default steep learning curve

I am now a proud owner of a nearly new Canon SX30IS and have already had it out and used its automatic settings. I will take my time learning all its features, but in the mean time I have a question ............. or two.
    I have often had problems in the past with aligning photographs to the horizon. Odd really as generally I have a very "straight eye". Can someone advise as to the best way to line up a photograph?
    Secondly, how do I straighten a horizon using Gimp 2.6? I have just downloaded it and have never used a photo editor before, and I have no idea how to use it for anything Is there somewhere I can get basic guidance for basic uses? I have a lot to learn

Quote Originally Posted by magbrin View Post
    I am now a proud owner of a nearly new Canon SX30IS and have already had it out and used its automatic settings. I will take my time learning all its features, but in the mean time I have a question ............. or two.
    I have often had problems in the past with aligning photographs to the horizon. Odd really as generally I have a very "straight eye". Can someone advise as to the best way to line up a photograph?
    Secondly, how do I straighten a horizon using Gimp 2.6? I have just downloaded it and have never used a photo editor before, and I have no idea how to use it for anything Is there somewhere I can get basic guidance for basic uses? I have a lot to learn
    Hi, I find that for me, aligning the horizon with the lower straight edge of the image as it appears in my viewfinder works for me. What I have found out is that the free download 'Picasa' is brilliant for correcting tilting horizins. You just click the appropriate button and a grid overlay appears over your image with which you can compare your taken horizon. You then just click left or right and your image will lign up perfectly with the grid overlay until you are happy with it, resulting in a correct horizon. Picasa is a very simple editing tool and does most things that are needed, I tried Gimp once and gave up. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi Magbrin
    Your camera may have a framing grid that would help you with horizons...graham

Thanks, guys. have downloaded Picassa and it looks quite idiotproof - time will tell and have set the gridlines on the camera. Here's to some straight line shooting
    BTW do you use a spirit level (on camera or tripod) and is it worth it?

Images

Hi with gimp go to tools and transform then use the rotate tool to move the shot. The gimp is free and very powerful editor and the best way I found my way round was to go to youtube and type in what i wanted to do and someone had always done video on it

Quote Originally Posted by magbrin View Post
    Thanks, guys. have downloaded Picassa and it looks quite idiotproof - time will tell and have set the gridlines on the camera. Here's to some straight line shooting
    BTW do you use a spirit level (on camera or tripod) and is it worth it?
    I've never used a spirit level yet and up to now my eyesight has sufficed, but if I get it wrong then Picasa comes to the rescue. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi I have a spirit level built in to my tripod and to be honest i never bother to use it