Thread: lenses

Hybrid View

Question lenses

can somebody please explain in easy to understand language what the numbers mean on lenses as i am not used to this i am used to 3-18x optical zoom method as found on compact cameras a

Quote Originally Posted by craigmason71 View Post
    can somebody please explain in easy to understand language what the numbers mean on lenses as i am not used to this i am used to 3-18x optical zoom method as found on compact cameras a
    Hi Craig. When you say numbers on lenses do you mean the focal lengths or the aperture numbers?
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Both i dont know what any of the numbers mean

Quote Originally Posted by craigmason71 View Post
    Both i dont know what any of the numbers mean
    Ok, well the numbers which read like f3.5--5.6 for example, are the numbers relating to the lens apertures. The smaller the number, like f2, mens that the lens variable aperture will open very wide and is known as a fast lens because it allows more light in, makes for faster shutter speeds and sharper pics.
    The other 'numbers' are the focal lengths, like 18-200mm, which means that the lens is a zoom going from 18mm which is a wide angle view, up to 200mm which is a telephoto zoom and good for bringing subjects close in. Hope this helps, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi what camera and lens do you have it will help us give a better answer