Default Canon SX30IS or Nikon P500

Have read the information on these two "Superzooms" and wondered if anyone can help me decide which would suit me best.
    I will be using it for:
    landscapes, seascapes, snowscapes, sunsets etc,
    photographing plants particularly wild flowers, herbs, gardens, etc.
    Wildlife
    people - especially the grandbaby, now nearly a year old
    Pretty villages - mainly abroad

I have ruled out other cameras because of shorter zoom, no viewfinder, use of AA batteries, but maybe I am missing one - I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Magbrin

Quote Originally Posted by magbrin View Post
    Have read the information on these two "Superzooms" and wondered if anyone can help me decide which would suit me best.
    I will be using it for:
    landscapes, seascapes, snowscapes, sunsets etc,
    photographing plants particularly wild flowers, herbs, gardens, etc.
    Wildlife
    people - especially the grandbaby, now nearly a year old
    Pretty villages - mainly abroad

I have ruled out other cameras because of shorter zoom, no viewfinder, use of AA batteries, but maybe I am missing one - I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Magbrin
    Hi there, from what you describe you need a camera for, I would suggest that a DSLR would probably suit your needs best, although you haven't stated your budget which makes advising you a tad risky. If you could do this then some advice will soon be forthcoming from forum members, all the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Thanks, Mike
    Have looked at some of the lower priced DSLRs, but with a budget of not much more than 500 think it would be difficult to get something as good as one of these. I know I could add to it in the future, and I have had a (non digital) SLR in the past. Perhaps that is putting me off a bit too - heavy to cart around, and a fiddle to change lenses between shots. Thought of the compact system type but they too are probably out of reach.
    However I am open to any advice or suggestions, but a am, after all, quite an amateur so don't want to spend a fortune one something that might be too high a spec for me!
    chhers
    Magbrin

Your intended subject matter is pretty normal for consumer photography, but doesn't immediately suggest a need for extreme hi-end zoom?
    Out of curiosity how have you narrowed the choice down to those two cameras from the ***on brands?
    Just wondering why the Sony HX100V isn't considered, and the new Panasonic FZ48 may be worth a look - not least for its improved/faster contrast detect focusing over its competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Your intended subject matter is pretty normal for consumer photography, but doesn't immediately suggest a need for extreme hi-end zoom?
    Out of curiosity how have you narrowed the choice down to those two cameras from the ***on brands?
    Just wondering why the Sony HX100V isn't considered, and the new Panasonic FZ48 may be worth a look - not least for its improved/faster contrast detect focusing over its competitors
    Sony - no viewfinder
    Panasonic - not as good a zoom

Choices narrowed by recommemdations and by spec and features which I think most suited to my needs.

Having, in the past, had a "steam" SLR with a zoom of c.750mm , I am looking for at least 30x zoom. My subject matter may be normal, but is very difficult to describe, but I can assure you that I want as wide a range of "wide angle" and zoom as I can get for my money (see previous post) without compromising picture quality too much. I am not particularly interested in video quality, although I dare say I could learn to use it if it was there.

Perhaps I asked the wrong question.

Has anyone out there got either of the above mentioned cameras and would they recommend them?

Question

The Sony HX100V has an EVF, with a far superior 920K dots resolution compared to the 220-230K dot resolution of the Canon/Nikon offerings

Thanks, guys for your thoughts. As it happens this afternoon, I bid for and got a Canon SX30 IS - with nearly 6 months gurarantee, at a price that if I don't like it and want to rethink, I have not lost a lot and could probably resell, and go for a comact system or DSLR.
    Will no doubt be back with some thoughts, observations and questions once I have got started with the camera.
    All the best
    Magbrin

Quote Originally Posted by magbrin View Post
    Thanks, guys for your thoughts. As it happens this afternoon, I bid for and got a Canon SX30 IS - with nearly 6 months gurarantee, at a price that if I don't like it and want to rethink, I have not lost a lot and could probably resell, and go for a comact system or DSLR.
    Will no doubt be back with some thoughts, observations and questions once I have got started with the camera.
    All the best
    Magbrin
    Hi Magbrin. Now that you've got your camera may we look forward to seeing some of your images in the gallery? I wish you all success with whatever you photograph. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012