Thread: tz20 or d3100

Question tz20 or d3100

hi all , i need help in deciding which to buy . already have a nikon compact but would like to move onto dslr. i would like to make photography more of a hobby but it would be mainly for holidays & days out.
    a good list of pro's & cons would be really helpful .
    thanks

Images

Hi Barnsleysteve
    this link might help... graham
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D3...Panasonic-TZ20

thanks graham. some good info but still confused/undecided. i think what i really want to know is which takes the best picture/movie , which has the better spec and is it worth paying the extra 150+ for the d3100. cheers steve.

Images

I would go to a shop look at both hold them and see which you prefer. A DSLR will take better pictures but you will have to learn and there will be post processing to get the best out of it. Also you will need to invest in lenses. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by barnsleysteve View Post
    thanks graham. some good info but still confused/undecided. i think what i really want to know is which takes the best picture/movie , which has the better spec and is it worth paying the extra 150+ for the d3100. cheers steve.
    Hi Steve, the D3100 is rated as a 'high- spec DSLR aimed at beginners, which includes some highly impressive features such as HD movie mode' That description is to be found in the WDC MAGAZINE.
    As a Nikon DSLR user myself I find the camera just brilliant and it certainly produces the goods. As Wave pointed out, you will want at some future time want to invest in some more lenses for different tasks, and this can be expensive. Compact and bridge cameras are ok but do have limitations, so if you want the best, a DSLR it is. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

thanks everyone it's looking like the d3100!!!

Hi having bought a D3100 recently (2 weeks ago) I can certainly vouch that its a fantastic camera. The kit lens it comes with is great, although if your anything like me you will be after a telephoto lens as soon as you have had a real good play with it.

Images

hi
    If you want a camera that fits in your pocket and is easy to carry then buy the compact for, better quality get the d3100... graham