Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused

Default I'm confused

Just wanted to say Hello to all you Guys.

I have tested the Fuji HS 20 and loved the results but it was a bit heavy so am trying out the Sony Nex 5 but the port hole covers for the flash and cables are all very flimsy and would soon break plus and it is maybe my fault cause I'm only a beginner but the pictures are not as clear.

So my question is, do any of you know which camera I should try out next?

I mostly take macro close ups, dogs playing and wild life in my garden.

Thanks for taking the time in reading this as I've read so many reviews I've ended up in confusing myself. Lol.

Images

Hi. Have you considered dslr's

Hi there, it's hard to advise someone on equipment when your budget has not been mentioned, if you can perhaps let us know how much you are prepared to spend then it becomes easier for advice to be offered. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Hi Graham and Canismajor.

I wouldn't know where to start with a DSLR, I am total beginner with anything more than a point and click.

My budget is up to 400. I hope with that outlay I should be able to get a decent camera to take macro close ups, dogs playing and wild life in my garden.

As I said I have read far too many reviews, tested the Sony HS 20, loved it but it was a bit heavy, now testing the Sony nex 5 but worry about the port holes for the flash and cables, they are all very flimsy which is a shame but I can't spend that amount of money and worry every time I have to open and close the port holes.

TY for trying to help.

Jan x

Images

Hi if you are ruling out DSLR's then are you ruling out all cameras with inter changeable lenses

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi if you are ruling out DSLR's then are you ruling out all cameras with inter changeable lenses

Hi Wave,
    no not really cause I'm trying out the Sony Nex 5 which has inter changeable lenses but as I said I am unable to get crisp images but that is my fault as I'm a novice. The down side to the Sony Nex 5 is the portholes that house the screw on flash and the cable plugs, they are really flimsy and for that reason I think I will return the camera. I still love the results I got from the Fuji HS 20 when I tested that, it was so easy to use and a good sturdy camera but a little heavy. I just need to know from all you wonderful experts out there if there is another camera that is priced between 3 / 4 hundred pounds that is better than the Fuji HS 20 because to me 400 is a very considered purchase and to be honest, I have read so many reviews I have confused my-self. If size and weight comes with clear crisp images then I will have to except that point. TY for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Foord Farm View Post
    Hi Wave,
    no not really cause I'm trying out the Sony Nex 5 which has inter changeable lenses but as I said I am unable to get crisp images but that is my fault as I'm a novice. The down side to the Sony Nex 5 is the portholes that house the screw on flash and the cable plugs, they are really flimsy and for that reason I think I will return the camera. I still love the results I got from the Fuji HS 20 when I tested that, it was so easy to use and a good sturdy camera but a little heavy. I just need to know from all you wonderful experts out there if there is another camera that is priced between 3 / 4 hundred pounds that is better than the Fuji HS 20 because to me 400 is a very considered purchase and to be honest, I have read so many reviews I have confused my-self. If size and weight comes with clear crisp images then I will have to except that point. TY for your response.
    Hi Jan. I think you are wise to recognize the weakness in the Nex 5 camera and it would be a shame to waste money on a camera that has the potential to give problems. The HS20 offers great images, just check out those by DebzG in the gallery, she uses this camera. You should feel the weight of my DSLR with a telephoto zoom on it of 120-400mm, it causes arm ache if shooting lots of pics when holding it up to the eye, but the images are well worth the pain! Personally I like the feel of a well built camera and lenses, they inspire confidence. I've held some of those plasticky cameras and for me they are to be avoided, horses for courses etc. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi
    You may struggle to get a dslr with a macro lens for you budget. Other bridge cameras you could look at are:
    canon sx30 is
    nikon coolpix P500
    sony HX100v.
    Hope this helps ... graham

TY Graham, I'm going to track those cameras down and make my mind up. I'm doing a whirlwind one day trip to Paris next month and I want to be able to get to know the camera before I go.

Jan x

Quote Originally Posted by Foord Farm View Post
    TY Graham, I'm going to track those cameras down and make my mind up. I'm doing a whirlwind one day trip to Paris next month and I want to be able to get to know the camera before I go.

Jan x
    Hi Jan, my advice would be to visit some camera shops and try out a few cameras using your own media card, then when you return home you could download the images and check for quality. look for a decent optical zoom and Image Stabilisation. Most good shops will allow you to stand outside the shop with an assistant in order for you to conduct a trial. All the best, Mike.