Default New Lens - Wedding Photos

Hello people,

I need to buy myself a new lens to take pictures for a wedding, I've done a friends wedding before now and my pictures come out very well for just using a 55mm & 85mm (I tend to stick with the 85mm attached) and she graciously recomended me to another friend of hers who's getting married in September. I usualy take portfolio pictures and alot of concert and DJ club images so my lens do me well most of the time because I can normal get anywhere!

My point being I've been looking at the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM lens but it's not set in stone and I'll happily get something else if anyone can recomend something. I'm looking to spend about 1000 but I can go a little bit over if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott.

Hi Scott. I don't know what lenses Canon make but what I can say is that a lens I find useful for things like weddings is my 18-200mm. The 18mm end is handy for groups of people, while the 200mm end is good for those candid shots which you can take from a way off while remaining unobserved. It truly is a very versatile lens and a favourite of mine. I have also found that for large group pics my 10-20mm ultra wide angle comes in handy, and that lens is a Sigma f3.5, 489.99. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Well, sigma has some very nice alternatives on offer for the focal length youre looking at

For 999 you can get a stabilised, f/2.8 70-200mm, which is a cracker of a lens
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003HC8V9...SIN=B003HC8V9A

And if you arent fussed for stabilisation, then you can get one for half the price at little over 500, which would leave you a nice amount of money left over for another lens of your choice
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...6DR30BF1PQV4VX

Ive heard problems with sigmas quality control, it is possible that you may receive a not so good copy, chances are sigma will have fixed that problem by now though

Images

Hi heres my take you dont say which camera you have so we can take in the crop factor of the lens. You have said that you have a 55 and 85 lens not sure which ones again. I think I would be looking at a zoom the 70-200 range is good for those really nice close in shots but you dont have a wide angle for group shoots so you could look at 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4. Good luck