Default camera or lens upgrade

hi
    i have had my canon eos 400d for 4 years now.i'm wondering if it's best to upgrade the camera or the lens.
    i just have the 2 kit lens that came with the camera
    canon efs 18-55
    canon ef 55-200
    i mostly take photo's of trucks but also some general holiday photo's as well
    any help is welcome
    many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bru2 View Post
    hi
    i have had my canon eos 400d for 4 years now.i'm wondering if it's best to upgrade the camera or the lens.
    i just have the 2 kit lens that came with the camera
    canon efs 18-55
    canon ef 55-200
    i mostly take photo's of trucks but also some general holiday photo's as well
    any help is welcome
    many thanks
    Hi there. The question is, are you happy with the image quality you are getting right now?, if you are why spend more money needlessly!. On the other hand, if you need to upgrade the camera then just opt for a new body as your lenses will be ok on the upgrade, providing they are suitable. I know people who use cameras that are ancient and are very pleased with image quality after the passing of time, so I guess it's horses for courses!. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

The EOS 400D should be perfectly acceptable for the kind of images you're taking, so long as you're not attempting to enlarge them to a ridiculous size. I would recommend something along the lines of a 70-200mm f2.8 lens if you're looking for an improvements in temrs of zoom, or the Canon 28-135mm IS if a standard lens with a wider range is more to your liking. A new lens can cost as much as new body, but like Canis mentions an older body doesn't necessarily mean poor images, especially as better optics can be used on any compatible mount, regardless of cost. I'm still using an EOS 350D, and it's rarely let me down.

Images

you may be better to get a new body, what is your budget

thanks lads
    the biggest i have enlarged a photo to is a4
    i had thought about the 28-135 lens
    well my budget would have been about 600-700 the price of a new camera