Images

Default Advice on a new camera

Hi there . New member here

Im hoping someone(s) advice could help me in purchasing a camera ?

I currently own a Olympus U760 comapact camera which in the main is alright but whenever i use it I jsut moan about the quality of picture and the lack of decent optical zoom.
    The pictures I like to take are the usual everyday things like family portraits but there are times when ive used it for scenery and sporting occasions and thats when it just cant cut it.

Now as much as most people interested in photography would love to own a DSLR I just cant afford one and im assuming to get a decent close up on scenery etc you need extra lenses etc so i was looking at "bridge cameras" ?

Would I benefit from one of these ? And probably a stupid question but what would the picture quality compared to a DSLR be like ?

Price wise im looking at around 200 to spend

Thanks in advance

Images

ok fujifilm HS10 it is then.

Images

Hi its not easy to say get this one or get that one. If you want good quality then its going to have to be a DSLR everything else will be a compromise. You maybe better saving up for a DSLR

I would agree with Wave, 200 will not get you a new DSLR camera, and perhaps you may consider saving for a while longer, in the end you may find this the best way to proceed. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Thanks for the advice chaps.

So what DSLR would be good for a complete novice ?

**** actually scrub that question guys. I just did a search and by all accounts the advice for a novice is go for either Sony A290 or a canon EOS100d.

cheers gents
    Last edited by ThatBloke; 20-07-11 at 04:03 PM.

Images

If you go with a DSLR then thing to look for are whats available in lenses nikon and canon have the largest selection plus there are third party ones to choose from too remember you are buying into a system. Next is how does it feel is it comfortable to use, its not a case of saying i will get used to it. A couple of pointers that i use when choosing a new camera. good luck