Smile Need Help Buying My First Serious Camera

Hi All,

I've been using a teeny little Fujifilm Finepix J25 for years now and I have reached the point where I feel severely limited by it. My dad recommends that I should get a DSLR camera. I have been reading reviews but I have to admit that the specifications mean nothing to me. My knowledge is very poor. I am very keen on taking up photography as my main hobby.

What I require is a camera that is:
    Versatile yet captures beautiful clear images.
    Perfect for travelling and that will do justice to the beautiful places around the world.
    Able to take photos at night without blurring or light distortion.
    Able to take photos of moving animals without blur. e.g cats and birds.
    Able to take close up macro shots.
    Is suitable for a beginner,but with lots of room for growth and advancement.
    Not so complex that I will never understand it.
    Rechargeable i.e doesn't require AA batteries.
    Not so heavy that my tiny wrists will strain to lift it!

So yes, please help!
    I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Hi there, well from what you say a camera will be required for, a DSLR would seem the best option. It all boils down to what you are willing to spend. Having said that, some bridge cameras will do all that you want as well, take the Fujifilm HS10 or 11 for example. Look at the macro pics that DebzG puts in the gallery and see what can be achieved, because she uses a HS10 and her pics are stunning. I think many bridge cameras suffer from 'shutter lag' whereas a DSLR won't. I use a DSLR but still have a Fujifilm S9500 bridge camera which is fine but has shutter lag. When you know your budget it will be easier to advise you. All the best. Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by canismajor View Post
    Hi there, well from what you say a camera will be required for, a DSLR would seem the best option. It all boils down to what you are willing to spend. Having said that, some bridge cameras will do all that you want as well, take the Fujifilm HS10 or 11 for example. Look at the macro pics that DebzG puts in the gallery and see what can be achieved, because she uses a HS10 and her pics are stunning. I think many bridge cameras suffer from 'shutter lag' whereas a DSLR won't. I use a DSLR but still have a Fujifilm S9500 bridge camera which is fine but has shutter lag. When you know your budget it will be easier to advise you. All the best. Mike.
    Thankyou for the response; I will look into all of the above in detail.
    Oops forgot to mention my budget!
    For now let me just say: my top limit is 500 ish.

EDIT: Have just looked at the pics by Debzg; they are stunning. I would definitely love my camera to enable me to take amazing macro shots such as those.
    Last edited by Tearoma; 19-07-11 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearoma View Post
    Thankyou for the response; I will look into all of the above in detail.
    Oops forgot to mention my budget!
    For now let me just say: my top limit is 500 ish.

EDIT: Have just looked at the pics by Debzg; they are stunning. I would definitely love my camera to enable me to take amazing macro shots such as those.
    For 500 ish you could buy an entry level DSLR and a kit lens, the choice would be up to you, and when you have become good with your camera then you could always add to your lenses. At a later date you may upgrade the camera but you'll still have the lenses to go with the upgrade. As a DSLR user, that would be my advice. It is expensive once you are on the DSLR ladder with some lenses costing many thousands of pounds. In my opinion though, the results justify the expense. I wish you all success. Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by canismajor View Post
    For 500 ish you could buy an entry level DSLR and a kit lens, the choice would be up to you, and when you have become good with your camera then you could always add to your lenses. At a later date you may upgrade the camera but you'll still have the lenses to go with the upgrade. As a DSLR user, that would be my advice. It is expensive once you are on the DSLR ladder with some lenses costing many thousands of pounds. In my opinion though, the results justify the expense. I wish you all success. Mike.
    Thank you very much for all your help Mike.
    I will continue to browse through reviews and narrow it down from there.

Images

Hi i would look at some of the micro 4/3 cameras from olympus and panasonic they will give you the inter changeable lenses and they are smaller than a DSLR.
    In the end it will be a case of getting a short list and going to try them. Remember DSLR and interchangeable lens cameras you are buying into system so check whats lenses are available to you

Quote Originally Posted by Tearoma View Post
    Hi All,

I've been using a teeny little Fujifilm Finepix J25 for years now and I have reached the point where I feel severely limited by it. My dad recommends that I should get a DSLR camera. I have been reading reviews but I have to admit that the specifications mean nothing to me. My knowledge is very poor. I am very keen on taking up photography as my main hobby.

What I require is a camera that is:
    Versatile yet captures beautiful clear images.
    Perfect for travelling and that will do justice to the beautiful places around the world.
    Able to take photos at night without blurring or light distortion.
    Able to take photos of moving animals without blur. e.g cats and birds.
    Able to take close up macro shots.
    Is suitable for a beginner,but with lots of room for growth and advancement.
    Not so complex that I will never understand it.
    Rechargeable i.e doesn't require AA batteries.
    Not so heavy that my tiny wrists will strain to lift it!

So yes, please help!
    I look forward to reading your suggestions.
    Hi All

I'm new to whatdigitalcamera forum and I'm in a similar situation. I currently own an Olympus E-620 DSLR which I've had for about 18 months and I'm looking to upgrade to a more pro DSLR. I'm considering a Nikon D7000, D300s or D700. Is there anyone out there that can give me some good solid advice on which one to go for. I have a budget of 3800 which must include lenses etc

I look forward to any help.

Images

Hi you might want to start your own thread. but heres my take you have an olympus why not stick with them. second you have only mentioned nikon is that your preference and have ruled out canon. what do you take pictures of it will help give to give a better reply

Quote Originally Posted by mikeachap View Post
    Hi All

I'm new to whatdigitalcamera forum and I'm in a similar situation. I currently own an Olympus E-620 DSLR which I've had for about 18 months and I'm looking to upgrade to a more pro DSLR. I'm considering a Nikon D7000, D300s or D700. Is there anyone out there that can give me some good solid advice on which one to go for. I have a budget of 3800 which must include lenses etc

I look forward to any help.
    Hi there, as a Nikon owner myself, (D300) I can say that for me, my camera is brilliant and so reliable. BUT it is heavy especially with a large telephoto lens attached. A lens I use the most, the Nikon 18-200mm, is usually attached and this combination is not so heavy. But do visit plenty of camera shops and TRY OUT your chosen camera with different lenses attached, only then will you have a true idea of whether the camera is going to be suitable for you. If I was looking to replace my D300 it would be with the full frame D700, which produces stunning image quality, but again it's horses for courses. All the best in your search. Mike.