Default First Time Buyer Nikon D3100 Package Options.

Hi Everyone

I have finally decdied to take the plunge and purchase my first digital SLR camera. As a complete novice I have been researching all sorts for the past week or so and it appears for my current and future needs the camera best suited would be the Nikon D3100.

Im hoping there are plenty of people out there who can vouch for this camera as it is a little over my budget but everything I havee read/seen has been positive.

The issue im struggling with is package options. For example you can buy the body, the body plus 18-55mm VR Lens (about 400-Jessops) and then the body, 18-55mm VR Lens and 55-200mm Non VR Lens (about 500-Jessops).

I have heard conflicting views on this as my natural choice would be to choose the third option with the extra lens. However it is a non VR lens which some people say is worthless whereas others say is better than a VR lens as its much lighter.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation or offer any ideas in general?

Thanks in advance

James

Images

The D3100 is a great first DSLR. The 55-200 non VR is ok but a tripod is recommended. Tricky to hold still at that size I find. Personally I would go for just the standard kit lens(18-55VR), which is a great little lens. If necessary, wait til you have funds for a VR zoom lens. I bought a Sigma 70-300 APO lens because I could not wait to get a Zoom, wish I had waited though. The lens is great on my tripod but not good handheld. Hope this helps.
    GAZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry8211 View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have finally decdied to take the plunge and purchase my first digital SLR camera. As a complete novice I have been researching all sorts for the past week or so and it appears for my current and future needs the camera best suited would be the Nikon D3100.

Im hoping there are plenty of people out there who can vouch for this camera as it is a little over my budget but everything I havee read/seen has been positive.

The issue im struggling with is package options. For example you can buy the body, the body plus 18-55mm VR Lens (about 400-Jessops) and then the body, 18-55mm VR Lens and 55-200mm Non VR Lens (about 500-Jessops).

I have heard conflicting views on this as my natural choice would be to choose the third option with the extra lens. However it is a non VR lens which some people say is worthless whereas others say is better than a VR lens as its much lighter.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation or offer any ideas in general?

Thanks in advance

James
    Hi James. Gaz is correct over the VR issue, and I would advise you to go for the body plus the 18-55 VR.
    Later perhaps you could opt for a used 18-200 VR with a warranty which will be much cheaper. I have this lens with VR and boy am I glad of it. If shooting in low light or fast moving objects then you will realise what a marvel it is, especially when you are shooting at full stretch (200mm). The DX sensor on the D3100 crop factor means that the 200mm lens is in essence a 300mm. So the 18-200mm works out at an equivalent of 28-300mm which is the magnification that you actually get. All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Hi
    I agree with Gaz & Mike you would be better to wait on a 55- 200 vr

Hi guys

Thanks for the speedy unanimous verdict. I shall be purchasing the body + 18-55 VR lens package and then wait for a while to see how i get on.

Hopefully purchasing next week so cue a load of stupid questions coming the forums way over the coming weeks!!

Thanks again.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Harry8211 View Post
    Hi guys

Thanks for the speedy unanimous verdict. I shall be purchasing the body + 18-55 VR lens package and then wait for a while to see how i get on.

Hopefully purchasing next week so cue a load of stupid questions coming the forums way over the coming weeks!!

Thanks again.

James
    Don't worry James about asking questions, all of us had to start somewhere and we all asked many questions ourselves. We'll be watching your space! All the best. Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

When I got my 550d i got it with a 18-55 kit lens used it for a bit then i got 2 lenses for it the 55-250is and a 50 1.8. So i would say try with the 18-55 and then see what you need after that