Thread: XD to SD?

Default XD to SD?

Hi, I've just hastily bought an Olympus 7020 camera whilst on holiday. I noticed later that it takes XD card and although I've got an XD to SD micro adaptor I still have a load of SD cards from my previous camera that it appears I cant use with my Olympus. As most equipment seems to takes SD card can anyone suggest any solutions before I have to go and buy another camera that takes SD cards!!

Quote Originally Posted by circo View Post
    . As most equipment seems to takes SD card can anyone suggest any solutions before I have to go and buy another camera that takes SD cards!!
    Buy a XD memory card? Looks like you can get 2GB ones for about 11 online.

Although SD is the most popular format its by no means universal. Olympus and Fujifilm cameras use xD, Sony cameras use MemoryStick, and most mid to high end DSLRs use Compact Flash.

Unless you have a TV with a built-in SD slot it doesn't matter that your camera uses XD. A multi-format card reader for your PC is only a couple of quid more than a single format one, and pretty much all digital photo frames and so forth can accept all types of media. Buying a decent xD card will much cheaper than changing the camera.

The D300 is UDMA compatible. If you want the fastest memory write time, get an UDMA card such as the Sandisk Extreme IV, the Ducati, and Lexar 300x UDMA Pro. Whether those fast cards will make any meaningful difference highly depends on your particular shooting pattern.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by readone View Post
    The D300 is UDMA compatible. If you want the fastest memory write time, get an UDMA card such as the Sandisk Extreme IV, the Ducati, and Lexar 300x UDMA Pro. Whether those fast cards will make any meaningful difference highly depends on your particular shooting pattern.
    Problem there is that the OP has bought a Olympus 7020 and not a D300
    Fen .......... My http://www.fenris.co.uk/galleries.htm - My http://fen-oswin.blogspot.com/ - My http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

Thanks for the info all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    Problem there is that the OP has bought a Olympus 7020 and not a D300

In answer to the original question, an xD card measures 25 x 20 x 1mm compared to an SD's 24 x 32 x 2.1mm. As such, on a space factor alone, it wouldn't be possible to physically adapt an SD to fit into an xD slot internal to the camera. That's why the micro SD adaptation has been made possible, as it's capable of physically obtaining such a card size with an adaptor.

Images

Very interesting topic appreciated...