Default Lenses for Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera

First post so please be gentle. My OH recently bought a Canon EOS 550D complete with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about this camera but really want to get a new lens for him for his birthday. I know he has bought one other lens (for close ups) and has looked at a few others. He like to photograph scenery (seascapes) and people mainly if that helps but there seems to be so many I dont know where to start! I have around 150 to spend but could maybe stretch to 180 at a push. Any ideas would be very welcome? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by bombayduck View Post
    First post so please be gentle. My OH recently bought a Canon EOS 550D complete with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about this camera but really want to get a new lens for him for his birthday. I know he has bought one other lens (for close ups) and has looked at a few others. He like to photograph scenery (seascapes) and people mainly if that helps but there seems to be so many I dont know where to start! I have around 150 to spend but could maybe stretch to 180 at a push. Any ideas would be very welcome? Thanks in advance
    I hate to say this but your budget limits you in what lenses are available. However, as you say he likes to photograph people, may I suggest a prime lens which most photographers have, and that is the Canon EF50mm, f1.8 which has a retail value of 130. This lens is much faster than his kit lens and is popular for low light pics. Hope this helps, all the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Does he have a camera bag?

I use a LowePro mini trekker rucksack but there are plenty other types of bag and brands to choose from. Something likehttp://products.lowepro.com/product/...00,2261,14.htmperhaps?

Thanks guys, he does have a camera bag daft_biker, oddly its a LowePro mini trekker rucksack! That was my first thought but he beat me to it. The EF50mm, f1.8 lens sounds like just the ticket thanks canismajor. Thanks again!

Images

Hi there.
    I also have the 550D and bought this lens: http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CG0Q8wIwAQ
    It's not a terrible lens and is good for macro.

:0)

Hi
    If you are looking at the sigma 70-300 look at the apo version...graham

Images

On review, the lens I have is this one: http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGIQ8wIwAg

Has Macro and cost 170. Still a good lens though, definately need to use a tripod though :0)