Hybrid View

Default Good customer service from Canon??

I'm throwing this out to all Canon users. I've just sent a 17-85 Canon lens for repair to Canon. It was only 4 years old and 2 things were wrong with it, a diaphragm and the motor. I was unhappy that a well looked after (and relatively expensive lens) only lasted 4 years. I have tried to have this repaired for free, arguing that its only 4 years old. Canon want 52 off me.

What are the thoughts of others?

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    I'm throwing this out to all Canon users. I've just sent a 17-85 Canon lens for repair to Canon. It was only 4 years old and 2 things were wrong with it, a diaphragm and the motor. I was unhappy that a well looked after (and relatively expensive lens) only lasted 4 years. I have tried to have this repaired for free, arguing that its only 4 years old. Canon want 52 off me.

What are the thoughts of others?
    I've also heard similar comments from other Canon users and yes, you would expect an expensive lens like yours to give trouble free performance for more than 4 years. I have some Sigma lenses and one thats over 14 years old which has always performed faultlessly, so if they can make reliable lenses you would expect other manufacturers to do the same. I do share your feelings on this and I feel that Canon could at least put this right as a good gesture and an apology in the interests of good customer relationships. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Same scenorio here, also lots of others.
    This has definately been a sore point for many canon users with canon not owning up to a design fault in this lens.
    May I ask which canon site quoted you, my lowest repair quote works out well over 100 after tax/shipping..
    I'm nearly at the point of getting the screwdrivers out myself...
    Yep, very annoyed about the death of this lens, luckily it broke down on me the day before a wedding shoot and not on the day. It made the days' shooting interesting with a 70-200 and 19-35.... A crash course in handholding 70-200 ensued!
    Live and learn!
    Have you followed up your repair since posting this...
    Regards, Pete.