Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying advice please.

Hello all.
    After messing around with a compact camera, i have decided to take photography a bit more seriously.

I will be looking for a bridge camera as i cannot afford a DSLR at this time ( maybe superzoom) i will have up to 350.00 to spend, not a lot i know but i am sure there is a decent camera out there for my needs.

I need a camera that is good in low light as i will be taking lot of pictures of my friends band performances in pubs and clubs etc, also at concerts where the use of flash is not allowed.

I have looked at the Panasonic Fz45 but all reviews say it has bad low light performance and also looked at the Nikon L120 and few others. So any help would be greatly recived

Images

Not a super zoom but look at the canon g11 or g12

Thanks wave they look really good. I have also been told the the Fuji HS10 would also be a good choice, has anyone got one of these?

And what do they think?

Again thanks for the reply wave.

The Panasonic DMC FZ45 is a very good bridge camera, not the longest focal length but image quality from the camera compensates for it

Have a look at the Panasonic DMC-TZ18, this should be ok in low light as it has a max ISO of 6400, also full HD recording and a zoom of 24-384mm, plus manual modes and a 14mp sensor. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Try looking at the reviews on the updated Fujifilm HS20 which seem to give very favourable comments. The impression is that it is a very good upgrade from the HS10 and the problems with that camera have been ironed out. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Well looks like i am going in a different direction totally, as my friend has offerd me a Nikon d40x with 2 lenses for less than the cost of a Fuji HS10.

So i will be newbie DSLR user.

So again thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkiebar View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

Well looks like i am going in a different direction totally, as my friend has offerd me a Nikon d40x with 2 lenses for less than the cost of a Fuji HS10.

So i will be newbie DSLR user.

So again thanks for the advice.
    Hi Yorkiebar. Welcome to the ranks of Nikon users, you should find your camera an excellent choice with which to make your first foray into the DSLR world. Don't forget, you can always find advice on the forum as there are plenty of Nikon users here. All the best.

Hi.
    The nikon d40 is a fine camera you won't be disappointed ... graham

Thanks again for all the replies and the support.

Can't wait to start using the Nikon.

I have been advised to get the best shots of bands in pubs and clubs to get a 50mm f1.8 lens as it will improve low light shots, so that will be my next purchase for the D40X

Again thanks everyone.