Default Compact and DSLR to buy

Hi All,

I'm new here so please be gentle....

I currently own a Panasonic G1 Micro Four Thirds but am wanting to sell it and upgrade. I don't have a compact at the moment so am also wanting to buy a smaller camera too.

My dilemmas are these:

1. Do I buy a Nikon 5100 or a Canon 600D
    2. Do I buy a Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ1 or the Canon S95?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Images

Hi and welcome not easy to answer, what do you feel is wrong the micro four thirds is my first question. Moving on and forward I would look at the the 2 canon options if only for the fact that the software is the same.

For the DSLR I would go for the Nikon, as I feel the Canon amatuer DSLR's are overated and compared to the 600d in my opinion the d5100 is better.
    For the compact i'd say the LX5 as ive seen it get a few good reviews.

Images

These are all good cameras with not a lot separating them - rather than listen to other people's often odd opinions, it makes a lot more sense to go and try them out and see which one(s) feel the best to you - otherwise, you might end up making an expensive mistake by buying the wrong one for you. FWIW, the EOS 600D is a camera I can highly recommend - it's utterly bizarre to say it's overrated (I normally use a 5D II and 7D), as is the S95 (which is an improved version of the S90 that I use), but as I say, you might very well come to a different conclusion on which feels right to you - which is far more important than any tiny differences in image quality etc.

Images

When you get a DSLR a good thing to remember is, you are buying into a system, so see what lenses you require not all nikon lenses will auto focus with certain bodies. That said there should be enough to choose from. With canon then any ef mount will fit its only the ef-s lenses that are for the cropped bodies. Its already been said go do he touchy feely thing and thats a good idea if it feels right then its going to be easier to use. Of the cameras you have listed they are all fine cameras, I am a canon shooter only because I like the way they do things. Another thing to look at is software canon supply DPP a great free program and a good RAw converter, I am not sure hat nikon supply, it good to do your research.Good luck

Thanks for the replies chaps.....I'm not sure I am any closer to a decision despite having done the touchy-feely stuff with the cameras!! I can barely separate the Nikon from the Canon and in the compacts, they're both great to handle.....onwards...