Default Advice - Which camera for good quality sound on video, and zoom in during?

Hey all !

My old Pentax Optio S7 of 6 years just finally died.

It had served me well, BUT, anytime I wanted to take a video at a gig i.e. in a loud environment, it simply couldn't handle the bass, so the sound on any such videos was badly distorted, and so all pretty useless ...

So, can you please recommend me a new one that ticks the following boxes:

- around 100ish to 150ish
    - small/compact
    - good sound quality in videos (to handle loud gigs)
    - ability to zoom in DURING filming video

Thanks !

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Hey all !

My old Pentax Optio S7 of 6 years just finally died.

It had served me well, BUT, anytime I wanted to take a video at a gig i.e. in a loud environment, it simply couldn't handle the bass, so the sound on any such videos was badly distorted, and so all pretty useless ...

So, can you please recommend me a new one that ticks the following boxes:

- around 100ish to 150ish
    - small/compact
    - good sound quality in videos (to handle loud gigs)
    - ability to zoom in DURING filming video

Thanks !

Billy
    Hi Billy, considering your budget and other requirements, after looking at some cameras I came up with the Fujifilm S1600. RRP is 179 but you can get it cheaper than that, it has a great zoom of 28-420mm, a 12 mp sensor, max ISO of 6400 which will be good for low light situations, image stabilisation, HD movie mode, and a viewfinder. It takes 4 AA batteries and weighs in at 337g. Among my cameras are 2 Fujifilms which are 7 and 5 years old respectively, and still work great and have never given even a hint of a problem, so for me they are a decent camera. Hope this helps, all the best, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by canismajor View Post
    Hi Billy, considering your budget and other requirements, after looking at some cameras I came up with the Fujifilm S1600. RRP is 179 but you can get it cheaper than that, it has a great zoom of 28-420mm, a 12 mp sensor, max ISO of 6400 which will be good for low light situations, image stabilisation, HD movie mode, and a viewfinder. It takes 4 AA batteries and weighs in at 337g. Among my cameras are 2 Fujifilms which are 7 and 5 years old respectively, and still work great and have never given even a hint of a problem, so for me they are a decent camera. Hope this helps, all the best, Mike.
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the effort, but I fear you only ticked 3 of the 4 boxes, missing my requirment of "small/compact"...

I'm just after a wee, in your pocket, digital camera (like my old Pentax Optio), so the Fujifilm S1600 is not what i'm after i'm afraid...

Found this...

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7593_102-390063.html

...suggesting Canon SD1100

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the effort, but I fear you only ticked 3 of the 4 boxes, missing my requirment of "small/compact"...

I'm just after a wee, in your pocket, digital camera (like my old Pentax Optio), so the Fujifilm S1600 is not what i'm after i'm afraid...
    Perhaps Billy has found what you're looking for with this link, but I'm confident of one thing though, I've never been able to record decent bass at gigs even with my camcorder, the circuitry just doesn't cope with it and I would expect the same of any compact camera. Good bass frequencies start for me at around 10mhz, which is what you should get in an expensive hi-fi, but many can only offer around 25mhz which is just rubbish. So to expect this quality in a camera will sound like a tall order. Check out the size too of a good bass speaker. I'm willing to eat my words though if there are cameras out there that will record 10mhz of bass frequency. Mike.