Hybrid View

Default Stuck between two lenses...

OK, I should be getting a Sony SLR in the near future (well Christmas to be precise,) And I have read, well, some pretty bad reviews on the 18-70mm kit lens (yes, I'm getting an a200.)

I've managed to save up 150, and have decided to spend it on a lens if I'm not pleased with the kit lens.

Now, I have two lenses in mind, and wondered which you think would best soot my needs...

I enjoy taking macro pictures, but yet I'm looking for a lens that would perform in low light well as well as producing sharp images...

my two options are:

Sony 50mm f1.8 portrait
    or the
    Sony 30mm f2.8 macro

Which would you recommend? as I don't want to throw 25 weeks worth of savings down the toilet!

Thanks in advance
    R0B.

It's hard to pick one over the other. One is better for macro, the other better for portraits. Depends what you'll do more of. If I had to pick one the 30mm does have the advantage that it can be used for portraits, but you can't really use the 50mm f/1.8 for macro (though you could if you bought a screw in close-up dioptre lens to screw on the front).
    May I suggest a third option? If you can save up just a bit more you could get the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...a-fit/p1002635at both Warehouse Express and Amazon).
    This would give you both the portrait lens and the macro lens in one. It isn't quite as fast as the Sony 50mm, and the optical quality is a bit iffy around the edges, but it's a full frame lens and with the APS-C size sensor in the A200 you'll only be recording the central area anyway, which is fine.