Question Need advice, the Nikon D3100 or the Panasonic G2????

I am looking to move up from a point and shoot digital compact camera and have finally narrowed it down to the D3100 and G2, I have read loads of reviews and tried both but still cannot decide!

I like the G2 for the flip out screen and it feels nicer to handle but would go for the D3100 if the picture and video quality is better.

I want it to take photos and video of my two, very active, kids and learn more about photgraphy in general, particularly scenery, close ups and sports. Would hope as well, budget allowing, to add lenses as I learn more.

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by annamd View Post
    I am looking to move up from a point and shoot digital compact camera and have finally narrowed it down to the D3100 and G2, I have read loads of reviews and tried both but still cannot decide!

I like the G2 for the flip out screen and it feels nicer to handle but would go for the D3100 if the picture and video quality is better.

I want it to take photos and video of my two, very active, kids and learn more about photgraphy in general, particularly scenery, close ups and sports. Would hope as well, budget allowing, to add lenses as I learn more.

Can anyone help?
    Hello, if you are looking to start collecting lenses in the future the D3100 is the camera to go for. Not only that, but should you decide to upgrade your camera then you will still have the lenses. The Panasonic GF2 is still a compact four thirds system, with no viewfinder (according to WDC magazine), so if you prefer to look through a viewfinder when composing then the Nikon DSLR D3100 is the one to consider. Hope this helps, all the best, Mike.

Images

Hi Annamd
    A viewfinder is always a good idea. The LCD screen can be difficult to see see bright sun light... graham

Quote Originally Posted by canismajor View Post
    Hello, if you are looking to start collecting lenses in the future the D3100 is the camera to go for. Not only that, but should you decide to upgrade your camera then you will still have the lenses. The Panasonic GF2 is still a compact four thirds system, with no viewfinder (according to WDC magazine), so if you prefer to look through a viewfinder when composing then the Nikon DSLR D3100 is the one to consider. Hope this helps, all the best, Mike.
    The G2 has an electronic viewfinder, but the GF2 does not (no viewfinder).

Images

I would go down to a store and hold them EVIL cameras can suffer without an optical view finder.

I think you need to think more about what you would be using it for, personally if I just wanted to take normal photos and not specific ones I'd chose the G2 if I want to go down one specific fiel i.e macro, landscape I would chose the D3100

Thanks for the advice, going for the nikon, FINALLY decided!!!

Images

The D3100 for certain. Great cam for the price.

Congratulations on your choice, I'm confident as a nikon user myself that you won't be disapointed, I bought a new D300 in 2008 and I love it to bits. All the best. Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012