Question Advice, please, macro usage onlyHello

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and would love some advice on buying a DSLR for macro use specifically.

I'm not sure what I can get for a budget of around the 500-750 level - cheaper would be excellent of course!

I would like the most detailed (and flexible depth) macro results that I can afford.
    The camera would be used also for landscapes and occasional portraits, but the main use (c80%) is macro photography. Sharpness is v important.

I would like a lighter weight camera body, and preferably as compact as I can get in a DSLR.

What would you suggest / recommend??
    And specifics would be great , please, as I haven't got much knowledge about lenses, etc.

Many thanks !

Images

Hi Sunnybrighton
    Welcome to the forum. Off the top of my head the nikon 3100 is a light camera 502 grams with battery and lens. I'm sure someone else will give you other options. What i would do is go to a shop feel the touch of the camera pick the one you like ,
    . Then check out the lenses for price and compatibly( in your case macro) and take it from there...Hope this helps graham

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBrighton View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new here, and would love some advice on buying a DSLR for macro use specifically.

I'm not sure what I can get for a budget of around the 500-750 level - cheaper would be excellent of course!

I would like the most detailed (and flexible depth) macro results that I can afford.
    The camera would be used also for landscapes and occasional portraits, but the main use (c80%) is macro photography. Sharpness is v important.

I would like a lighter weight camera body, and preferably as compact as I can get in a DSLR.

What would you suggest / recommend??
    And specifics would be great , please, as I haven't got much knowledge about lenses, etc.

Many thanks !
    Hi there, I would agree with Graham about the Nikon D3100, but if it was me I would be looking to buy a good used lens with box and guarantee. I would go for a 105mm macro either by Nikon (used) or a Sigma (used). I use Sigma and am very happy with the results. Costs of new macro lenses are very high, but buying used should allow you to keep within your budget even after buying the camera new. All the best, Mike.

Smile Thank you

Thank you Mike and Graham for the great suggestions - just what I needed to get going! Much appreciated.
    I'll let you know what I get - I live in Brighton, and there's at least one good 2nd hand camera shop here so I should be able to get something reasonable.

BW Sharon

Thank you Mike and Graham for the great suggestions - just what I needed to get going! Much appreciated.
    I'll let you know what I get - I live in Brighton, and there's at least one good 2nd hand camera shop here so I should be able to get something reasonable.

BW Sharon
    Hi again, PLEASE don't forget to HAGGLE. The shops are very keen to do business so always ask them for their BEST price. Don't just pay what they ask, there's always room for manouvres, and make it clear that you will look elswhere if they won't play. We'll be keen to follow how you've done so please let us know. All the best, Mike.

Question Brushing up on haggling skills ...

Thanks Mike for that reminder - I will certainly report back on my adventures!

Just out of interest, what would be considered a good price to pay for a very good condition Nikon D3100, and a Nikon or Sigma 105mm lens?

I found a body only from Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai....php?pid=12375 at 370.
    At Dixons with a 18-55mm zoom lens, http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/r/nikon%20d3100/0_0_0/ it's 440

Amazon sell that lens at +/- 100, so the Dixons looks best if new.

PC World have a NIKON 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens at 170+ - I'm assuming I don't need that one if I'm only concentrating on macro photography?

The local shop I am thinking of visiting is http://clocktowercameras.co.uk/cgi-b...q?action=nikon - no D3100s at the mo, but they say to let them know what you want. I'm thinking it would be good to have a price band in mind, in order to negotiate effectively!

I've just seen the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon Fit Lens at Amazon for 400 !! (Ouch - pricey indeed!)

So new, the full kit would total, best price, 840.
    Secondhand, I'm guessing 500 would be brilliant, but unlikely?
    600-700ish more likely?

Thanks again
    Sharon

Thanks Mike for that reminder - I will certainly report back on my adventures!

Just out of interest, what would be considered a good price to pay for a very good condition Nikon D3100, and a Nikon or Sigma 105mm lens?

I found a body only from Simply Electronics http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai....php?pid=12375 at 370.
    At Dixons with a 18-55mm zoom lens, http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/r/nikon%20d3100/0_0_0/ it's 440

Amazon sell that lens at +/- 100, so the Dixons looks best if new.

PC World have a NIKON 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens at 170+ - I'm assuming I don't need that one if I'm only concentrating on macro photography?

The local shop I am thinking of visiting is http://clocktowercameras.co.uk/cgi-b...q?action=nikon - no D3100s at the mo, but they say to let them know what you want. I'm thinking it would be good to have a price band in mind, in order to negotiate effectively!

I've just seen the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon Fit Lens at Amazon for 400 !! (Ouch - pricey indeed!)

So new, the full kit would total, best price, 840.
    Secondhand, I'm guessing 500 would be brilliant, but unlikely?
    600-700ish more likely?

Thanks again
    Sharon
    First, the RRP of the D3100 is 579, so the price of 379 which you quote for body only has to be great indeed. I would go for a used Sigma 105mm to go with it,and get a copy of any good photography mag which contains all the ads in the back. Have a look for people like Mifsuds for example for a used lens with guarantee. The Dixons deal of 440 kit sounds good , so maybe you could opt for that and get a used macro lens to go with it, provided it falls within your budget. Macro lenses are quite expensive, so I guess you'll need to do some soul searching and swatting for deals. Hope you're successful, all the best, Mike.