Question Light meter and Ring Flash advice? Thx

Two pieces of equipment that confuses me are1) Ring flash 2) Light meter

1) Ring flashes are they useful when taking pictures with a macro lens or in other words what would be the benefit?

I have absolutely no clue on how to use a light meter.

2) Light meter, I know they are useful I’m trying to figure what information is gained and how would you use the information as I’m planning to take scenery and wild life pictures. In this case would a light meter be of use?

Thanks again in advance for you help.

Quote Originally Posted by PKCool View Post
    Two pieces of equipment that confuses me are1) Ring flash 2) Light meter

1) Ring flashes are they useful when taking pictures with a macro lens or in other words what would be the benefit?

I have absolutely no clue on how to use a light meter.

2) Light meter, I know they are useful I’m trying to figure what information is gained and how would you use the information as I’m planning to take scenery and wild life pictures. In this case would a light meter be of use?

Thanks again in advance for you help.
    Hi PK, ring flashes are almost exclusively used in macro photography, providing an even distribution of light onto the subject. I haven't used a light meter for about 40 years now,and the current cameras, ie, DSLR's have very capable light metering systems. You point a light meter at your subject and look at the readings which will offer you a speed and aperture settings which you would then impose on your camera. But that's not been necessary for ages now and there may still be those who use them. Don't see the point in buying an expensive camera and then using a light meter, it defeats the objective. All the best, Mike.