Hybrid View

Default Lens Expectations

Hello,

I've had a Canon EFS 17-85mm Ultrasonic lens for 4 years. About 4 weeks ago it started to show the Error99 message on the screen and I have since been told this is an issue with a diaphragm.

I've contacted Canon about this and to be honest they're not really interested and happy to send me names of people who are able to offer a repair at about 130.

I know two other people who have had the same problem with this lens as well so it seems relatively common. My question is, is 4 years value for money for a lens that cost over 300? Would others expect longer? I know I certainly would. I feel disppointed in Canon's lack of care about this issue and annoyed that I'm looking at forking out a further 130.

Thanks for any feedback,

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    Hello,

I've had a Canon EFS 17-85mm Ultrasonic lens for 4 years. About 4 weeks ago it started to show the Error99 message on the screen and I have since been told this is an issue with a diaphragm.

I've contacted Canon about this and to be honest they're not really interested and happy to send me names of people who are able to offer a repair at about 130.

I know two other people who have had the same problem with this lens as well so it seems relatively common. My question is, is 4 years value for money for a lens that cost over 300? Would others expect longer? I know I certainly would. I feel disppointed in Canon's lack of care about this issue and annoyed that I'm looking at forking out a further 130.

Thanks for any feedback,

Paddy
    Hi Paddy. I would be fuming if it was a lens of mine, and 4 years is nothing in the life of a lens. I'm still using a Sigma 70-300 which I bought 12 years ago, and it has been treated rather harshly at times. I use a Nikon D300 and just one Nikon lens. My others are by Sigma which to me are very reliable and make damn good images. All Canon would like you to do is to buy another lens, their response is typical of manufacturers who have little regard for customers. Too much of it these days. I love Sigma because I can chat to them anytime and get advice. Last year they told me that my new 120-400mm could have a prob. They collected it from my home and sent it to Japan for checking. It came back with no probs. Brilliant, what more could I ask!. Mike.

Images

I am surprised about there answer they are normally good on the repair front

Default Thanks

Thanks to you both for your responses. That does give me some reassurance. I will try and pursue this matter with Canon as I feel I'm being fobbed off a little too easily.

Regards

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    Thanks to you both for your responses. That does give me some reassurance. I will try and pursue this matter with Canon as I feel I'm being fobbed off a little too easily.

Regards

Paddy
    Just a quickie Paddy, never forget the old addage, 'The customer is King'. If you have to, make a nuisance of yourself then they may do anything to get you out of their hair!!!!!! My wife does this and it always works!!
    All the best, Mike.

Cheers Mike. Sounds like the thing to do. Have started this process and my complaint has at least been escalated to the next stage. Will keep on with this.

Regards

Paddy