Default Upgrading to Canon 7D/5D mk ii

Hi - I'm looking for advice on some new gear. I have used Canon for years but have been dealing with fairly dated gear for some time. I am looking to upgrade ASAP, due to a few amateur jobs coming up, and am hoping people on the forums might be able to give me some tips!

I've had a look through the reviews and other articles regarding the following cameras:

CANON 7D
    CANON 5D MARK ii

A combo with a lens would be handy, but is not essential. I am also keen to pick up a battery grip for whatever camera I end up with, as I am used to using one - and any other addition to any combo available would be a bonus. I'm currently looking to spend about 1200-1500. I've had a look at prices online and noticed great fluctuations on price depending on the stockist and have seen various deals on ebay.

From anyone here on the forums, I'm paritcularly intereted in any deals etc that they might know of - i.e. where I'm likely to get a bargain and/or best value for money. I'm also keen to know of any specific issues with going with one camera rather than the other.

Thank you, in advance, for your help/advice - it is very much appreciated

Cheers!

James

Images

quickly looking a 7d is about 1200 for a body and 5dmk2 is 1700 for a body. Not sure what you are going to take pictures of but if it was me I would look at the 7d and save a bit of money for lenses

Quote Originally Posted by jummy_cliff View Post
    Hi - I'm looking for advice on some new gear. I have used Canon for years but have been dealing with fairly dated gear for some time. I am looking to upgrade ASAP, due to a few amateur jobs coming up, and am hoping people on the forums might be able to give me some tips!

I've had a look through the reviews and other articles regarding the following cameras:

CANON 7D
    CANON 5D MARK ii

A combo with a lens would be handy, but is not essential. I am also keen to pick up a battery grip for whatever camera I end up with, as I am used to using one - and any other addition to any combo available would be a bonus. I'm currently looking to spend about 1200-1500. I've had a look at prices online and noticed great fluctuations on price depending on the stockist and have seen various deals on ebay.

From anyone here on the forums, I'm paritcularly intereted in any deals etc that they might know of - i.e. where I'm likely to get a bargain and/or best value for money. I'm also keen to know of any specific issues with going with one camera rather than the other.

Thank you, in advance, for your help/advice - it is very much appreciated

Cheers!

James
    I agree with wave, better to have cash in hand for that extra good lens than to buy a body and empty your wallet. I would think the 7D would be more than adequate for most jobs if you have the lenses for it. Mike.

Thanks for the responses/advice - much appreciated.

I'll go for the 7D then - let me know if you spot any deals!

Cheers - J

Images

I wouldn't discount the 60d or 600d they have the same sensor as the 7d.
    Ii would go and do the touchy feely thing see which one suits

Depends whether full-frame is important to you or not and what you'll be using the camera for?

5D mkII is full-frame, i.e. the sensor is the same size as old 35mm film.
    7D is a 1.6x crop, so the sensor is smaller. This has some impact on quality, but gives you the benefit of getting longer focal length equivalent from lenses. The physical size also means the 7D's body is comparatively trim.

Images

check out prices now for canon there places offering 30 cash back

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
    Depends whether full-frame is important to you or not and what you'll be using the camera for?

5D mkII is full-frame, i.e. the sensor is the same size as old 35mm film.
    7D is a 1.6x crop, so the sensor is smaller. This has some impact on quality, but gives you the benefit of getting longer focal length equivalent from lenses. The physical size also means the 7D's body is comparatively trim.
    The 7D and 5D II bodies are pretty much identical in size. I have both, and would recommend either, to be honest. The 5D II does have better quality, and the 7D will ultimately shoot faster, but both are actually great all-rounders.