Default Advice on lenses

I am going to the West Coast of the U.S. for a few weeks and have bought a Nikon D3000 to try and take some decent pictures of the trip as it is our honeymoon. I am learning all about the camera but am completely confused by lenses and would like some advice!

The trip is a road trip and I would like to take a lot of landscape type pictures in the national parks, as well as pictures of Big Sur and the desserts that we drive through, but have no idea what sort of lens will be good for this. I had assumed a wide angle one but these all seem to be really expensive whenever I have asked about them in camera shops!

Can anybody suggest what sort of lens I should be looking at that will work with the camera, and complement the lens that it came with, and not mean that I have to carry lots of equipment aroud the country.

Thank you very much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgin View Post
    I am going to the West Coast of the U.S. for a few weeks and have bought a Nikon D3000 to try and take some decent pictures of the trip as it is our honeymoon. I am learning all about the camera but am completely confused by lenses and would like some advice!

The trip is a road trip and I would like to take a lot of landscape type pictures in the national parks, as well as pictures of Big Sur and the desserts that we drive through, but have no idea what sort of lens will be good for this. I had assumed a wide angle one but these all seem to be really expensive whenever I have asked about them in camera shops!

Can anybody suggest what sort of lens I should be looking at that will work with the camera, and complement the lens that it came with, and not mean that I have to carry lots of equipment aroud the country.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Hi there. As a Nikon user myself, may I suggest a lens that I find gives me superb coverage for most events. This is the Nikon 18-200mm f4-5.6. It also has VR (vibration reduction) which I find to be something I would not be without on a lens such as this. If the new price is too expensive then buying a used lens is a good choice as long as it comes in its original box with waranty. Or there is the very good Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 which has OS (same as VR) and comes about 275 brand new, or again look for a used bargain. These focal lengths will be useful and the 18-200 will be my choice for the trip. All the best, Mike.

Default Lens buying advice.

@Mike

Thanks for the advice.

Do I understand from your post that you would go more for a zoom type rather than a wide angle lens for the trip? I have been told that, for landscapes, a wide angle lens is a must.

A camera shop also suggested that I buy something that screws on to the end of an existing lens to turn it into a wide angle. Are these gadgets any good as the shop suggested them as a much cheaper alternative to a proper lens.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgin View Post
    @Mike

Thanks for the advice.

Do I understand from your post that you would go more for a zoom type rather than a wide angle lens for the trip? I have been told that, for landscapes, a wide angle lens is a must.

A camera shop also suggested that I buy something that screws on to the end of an existing lens to turn it into a wide angle. Are these gadgets any good as the shop suggested them as a much cheaper alternative to a proper lens.

Thanks again.
    Wide angle is fine for some shots such as landscapes and groups of people, and I wouldn't use a screw on which could detract from image quality. The 18-200mm gives you wide angle and telephoto which you would find worthwhile on a trip such as yours in order to get close ups of say animals and wild birds that would not be possible otherwise. I use my 18-200mm f4-5.6 more than any other lens. I also have ultra wide angle, 10-20mm and a longer zoom, 120-400mm for sports and wildlife, pus a macro lens for insects etc. So in all, the 18-200 for me is the best all rounder and I love it. Hope this helps, Mike.

Images

Hi mrgin
    The beauty of a 18 -200 lens is it is that versatile, you wont need to take it off. Before i got my ultra wide (sigma 10-20) i used my 18-55 kit lens set at 18mm which gave reasonable results.As far as the screw in in concerned i have read a few reviews on them ,say their not great but for the money do a respectable job ..If you decide to get one,go for one that matches your lens. Good luck ...graham
    Last edited by graham_c; 25-05-11 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks.

I spent some time in my local independent camera shop today and they recommended a Nikon 55-300 as the best compromise along with the Digital King screw in for the wide angle stuff. I looked at the 10-20 Sigma but it is a bit pricey at the moment.

Is there any reason why I should look at the 55-200 over the 55-300?

Does anybody know anybody who has used one of the screw in wide angle gadgets?

Images

Hi.
    Only reason is cost the 55-200 in cheaper. I thought about a screw in ,but decided it would be better for wide shots to do panoramas and stitch them together using software, Giving me time to save up for a wide lens...graham