Thread: Complete novice

Question Complete novice

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in photography for a while...being creatively minded I tend to be a little better with composition than the technical stuff but not a great deal.

I have just treated myself to a Canon EOS 1100D (went for an entry level DSLR on purpose!). I purchased the kit so it came with an 18-55 lens.

As well as general photography (holidays, family occasions etc) I am quite interested in photographing animals (I had some success with the panasonic lumix tz7 capturing butterflies using a lot of zoom)

I am interested in purchasing an additional lens but where do I start. Do I need a macro lens to carry on my work with butterflies? or should I go for a zoom lens? or maybe an extension tube or the likes?

Having bought the camera my budget is now limited so I will probably be looking at something second hand but I still have no idea where to start!!!

Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Mel x

also...

can anyone explain to me how macro lenses work? The don't have a longer focal length than the kit lens I already have so how do they aid in capturing insects / butterflies close up?

sorry...I did say I was a COMPLETE novice lol

Mel x

Quote Originally Posted by invisibletouch View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been interested in photography for a while...being creatively minded I tend to be a little better with composition than the technical stuff but not a great deal.

I have just treated myself to a Canon EOS 1100D (went for an entry level DSLR on purpose!). I purchased the kit so it came with an 18-55 lens.

As well as general photography (holidays, family occasions etc) I am quite interested in photographing animals (I had some success with the panasonic lumix tz7 capturing butterflies using a lot of zoom)

I am interested in purchasing an additional lens but where do I start. Do I need a macro lens to carry on my work with butterflies? or should I go for a zoom lens? or maybe an extension tube or the likes?

Having bought the camera my budget is now limited so I will probably be looking at something second hand but I still have no idea where to start!!!

Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Mel x
    Hi there, you raise some interesting questions, and I feel that the editor, Nigel Atherton will be able to answer your question as to how a macro lens works. I use a Sigma 70mm macro lens which does a great job,BUT I should have opted for the 105mm because it allows the photographer to stay that much further away from the subject, and if that subject is a timid insect then the further away you are the better. There are some amazing pics in the gallery taken with macro lenses and maybe you could check them out. Have a look at some by Aidys 1 for example, and there are many others to see. Second hand is a great way to go, and many dealers offer guarantees with their used lenses. Check out, Mifsuds, Park Cameras, Warehouse Express to name a few. Good hunting, Mike.

Images

Congrats on the camera. You what other lenses and budget it is now tight apart from butterflies what else do yo take shoots of. to get good shoots of inscts and maro work I would add a sturdy tripod as well

Images

Smile

Hi invisibletouch welcome to WDC. You can get great close up images with a Reversing Ring, it goes between your camera and your lens, but with the lens back to front. Im sure if you go to a camera dealer they will explain and even let you try it out in the shop. Reversing rings are a lot cheaper than a macro lens. good luck.
    alan butler.