Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default If you could only give one piece of advice to a newbie....

.....what would it be?

I'd go for learn to use exposure compensation.

For a very Noob I would say "don't ask 'what camera should I buy?'" but get some ideas from the reviews and then visit a store and find out for what is best for them :-) This isnt easy advice too follow on some fora.

Take a lot of pictures and be very self-critical of the results

Thumbs up

Understand the aperture/shutter speed/depth of field relationship.
    'The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any'. - Katharine Whitehorn

Images

Think about what you want the final image to look like, then consider the composition and exposure values to achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTen View Post
    Think about what you want the final image to look like, then consider the composition and exposure values to achieve this.
    Along a similar line I'd say before you put the camera to the eye think about what you want to achieve with an image and what compositional and technical elements will help you achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
    Understand the aperture/shutter speed/depth of field relationship.
    Yeah, that's the initial thing. I remember learning this many years ago at school. So many flummoxed faces, was quite amusing.

Images

Don't buy over your means. it always drives me mad to see people buying a DSLR and using 10% of the functionality, then leaving it at home as it's too big. There are so many cracking compacts out there but people shy away from them because the current trend is for a removable lens system.

Images

I agree with one of the previous comments. The best way to improve is to get out there and take photos.

Images

how a camera actually works in practice and theory, once you understand the workings and technology you will find it easier to understand light and other factors which are key to success.