Images

Question Beginners upgrade

I decided to make the change a few years back from a digital compact and join the dslr market, after a lot of research through the various mags and internet browsing i plumped for the nikon d40,its been great,an easy camera to learn on being a complete slr novice,about six months after purchase i upgraded the lense from the standard 18-55mm to a nikon 18-200mm dx-vr,now i am looking to upgrade the body only, but the two i like the look of are the nikon d90 or the new d5100 these are both within my price range and are still at the entry level end of the market,i would like a few more mega-pixels to play with on the pc, any ideas ?

Images

Hi topster. I had the same dilemma i have a d5000 and thought about the d51000. Then discovered the d90 for only 550 body only and got the 90 without a second thought...graham

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSTER View Post
    I decided to make the change a few years back from a digital compact and join the dslr market, after a lot of research through the various mags and internet browsing i plumped for the nikon d40,its been great,an easy camera to learn on being a complete slr novice,about six months after purchase i upgraded the lense from the standard 18-55mm to a nikon 18-200mm dx-vr,now i am looking to upgrade the body only, but the two i like the look of are the nikon d90 or the new d5100 these are both within my price range and are still at the entry level end of the market,i would like a few more mega-pixels to play with on the pc, any ideas ?
    Hi Topster. The D5100 gets a very good report in the May issue of WDC magazine, one comment says "all in all it's rather hard to pick holes in this release". The D90 is an excellent camera, but has 12mp, whereas the D5100 has 16.2mp. The newer camera has lots of new features which will be useful, so I guess you will have to evaluate these for yourself. My D300 also has a 12mp sensor and it still amazes me with the images it produces. I suppose if making prints several feet in size is your thing, then the more mp the better. Horses for courses and all that stuff. I wish all success to you.