Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Question New Digital Camera Purchase - advice needed

    Hi everyone

    got a budget of up to £300 and looking for a digital camera which records FULL HD Video and Stereo sound, i play in a Rock Band and will be recording a few gigs using family members to record us

    currently using my iPhone 4 which aint bad, but looking for something "proper" which takes good pictures in the day and night and has good sound and video capabilities

    also, WHY is it that in the USA, there is no restriction on how much video time you record? in the EU dont they cap it so it stops after a certain time? how bloody annoying!!

    was looking at this http://www.trustedreviews.com/nikon-...-Camera_review
    but bit concerned about the "unnatural" colours this Reviewer says it has

    i`m very new to the world of Photography, so be gentle with me!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WayneBonGiovi View Post
    Hi everyone

    got a budget of up to £300 and looking for a digital camera which records FULL HD Video and Stereo sound, i play in a Rock Band and will be recording a few gigs using family members to record us

    currently using my iPhone 4 which aint bad, but looking for something "proper" which takes good pictures in the day and night and has good sound and video capabilities

    also, WHY is it that in the USA, there is no restriction on how much video time you record? in the EU dont they cap it so it stops after a certain time? how bloody annoying!!

    was looking at this http://www.trustedreviews.com/nikon-...-Camera_review
    but bit concerned about the "unnatural" colours this Reviewer says it has

    i`m very new to the world of Photography, so be gentle with me!
    Hi Wayne.Nice to meet you on the forum. Could I suggest you have a look at the PentaxWG1 GPS camera.It's a shock proof, water proof,and freeze proof camera with great low light capabilities with max ISO of 6400. Full HD movie mode and even added GPS. Weighs only 143 g, and has image stabilisation. RRP is £299 but can get it cheaper by shopping around. To be honest there's loads of good cameras out there for the job, it's down to personal choice. Given what you need it for, this one caught my attention. Hope you make a good decision. All the best, Mike.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hey Mike

    thanks for your reply

    i`ll have a look at the camera you suggested, do you think its better than the one i suggested?

    my band is here
    recorded on my iPhone 4 lol

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWETTN7_8iM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNDcLiAZVE

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WayneBonGiovi View Post
    Hey Mike

    thanks for your reply

    i`ll have a look at the camera you suggested, do you think its better than the one i suggested?

    my band is here
    recorded on my iPhone 4 lol

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWETTN7_8iM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNDcLiAZVE
    Hi Wayne, I think you'll find the Pentax a very worthy camera with good capabilities, I still have my Pentax film cameras which always produced great shots, but in the end I took the plunge and went digital and I now use a Nikon D300 which with its lens was £1500 when I bought it in 2008. For shots of the band in low light conditions the Pentax WG1 should be the right tool. Most cameras do different things and have different lenses, some have massive zooms up to 800mm which will take pics from a long way off, many have wide angle zooms for getting many people in a close up situation, it's all horses for courses and means doing lots of research. All the best, Mike.

  5. #5

    Default

    My only issue with that suggestion is that you're paying for all that waterproofing/shockproofing, so the camera underneath all that is not quite as good as one at the same price without it. They can also be a bit more fiddly and stiff to use due to the need to waterproof the buttons.

    I'm assuming £250 is your budget? I've had a quick look at a randome retailer, Warehouse Express (you should look at others too) and would suggest one of the following:

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...card/p10001343
    Full HD 1080p video with stereo sound; wide f/1.8 max aperture great for low light shooting (though its a bit noisy at higher ISOs)

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1523935
    Also full HD video with stereo, and dynamic movie stabilisation. Wide f/2 max aperture for low light shooting and very good high ISO performance. Very small and compact, beautifully made, comes in silver, gold, brown or pink.

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1519506
    Bigger than the others but does have a 10x zoom (don;t know if you'd need that?) Again, full HD with stereo, good low light shooting, loads of great features.

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1523542
    Unique Fuji sensor adapts for high quality in low light, full HD movies with stereo, 15x zoom lens.

    For me, of these four it would be between the Canon and Fuji for great low light image quality, depending on whether you'd prefer the bigger zoom or smaller pocket size camera.

    I hope this helps.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    My only issue with that suggestion is that you're paying for all that waterproofing/shockproofing, so the camera underneath all that is not quite as good as one at the same price without it. They can also be a bit more fiddly and stiff to use due to the need to waterproof the buttons.

    I'm assuming £250 is your budget? I've had a quick look at a randome retailer, Warehouse Express (you should look at others too) and would suggest one of the following:

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...card/p10001343
    Full HD 1080p video with stereo sound; wide f/1.8 max aperture great for low light shooting (though its a bit noisy at higher ISOs)

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1523935
    Also full HD video with stereo, and dynamic movie stabilisation. Wide f/2 max aperture for low light shooting and very good high ISO performance. Very small and compact, beautifully made, comes in silver, gold, brown or pink.

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1519506
    Bigger than the others but does have a 10x zoom (don;t know if you'd need that?) Again, full HD with stereo, good low light shooting, loads of great features.

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1523542
    Unique Fuji sensor adapts for high quality in low light, full HD movies with stereo, 15x zoom lens.

    For me, of these four it would be between the Canon and Fuji for great low light image quality, depending on whether you'd prefer the bigger zoom or smaller pocket size camera.

    I hope this helps.
    Hi Wayne. Nigel is perfectly right in what he says, but my reason for my comments was that I envisioned situations where the camera would be used by one and all and in less than perfect conditions. I imagined drinks being spilled on it at the gigs and perhaps it incurring the odd knock or two. If my imagination is running away then please accept my apologies and ignore my comments. The great thing about the forum is that you can consider all the remarks offered and weigh up each one and its merits and finally make your own choice. Nigel has a huge knowledge of all things photographic and I respect him enormously, and perhaps at the end of the day his experience would be of far more benefit to you in helping you with you camera choice. All the best, Mike.

  7. #7

    Default

    Why donít you use Canon IXUS 310 HS digital camera, it is affordable, easy to use and available in silver, brown, gold and pink, the Canon IXUS 310 HS costs £299.00 / Ä359.00 / $299.99. Canon IXUS 310 HS Digital Camera is having back-illuminated 12.1 megapixel CMOS sensor, a 4.4x, 24-105mm lens with a fastest aperture of f/2.0, optical image stabiliser, 3.4 frames/sec burst mode at full resolution, full 1080p HD movie recording with stereo sound and a HDMI port, Super Slow Motion 240fps movies, a 3.2 inch touchscreen LCD, and Aperture, Shutter Priority exposure modes.

    "http://www.bestofferbuy.com/hobbies-toys-photo-camera-c-273_282.html? utm_source=areebah&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=cam"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    995
    Images
    43

    Default

    Hi Mike has a point. I play in a delta blues band, and a water proof / shock proof camera is not a bad idea... graham

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •