Default 550D Versus 600D... Hi I am new here... so hi...

Dear All,

First off hello.

I guess this question will have been asked on a number of occasions, but I have a specific angle to it and that is I am after a good solid video camera and stills camera. It seems that the 550D is a de facto camera for this with much advice around. Also it is now cheaper with the release of the 600D. In addition I could install Magic Lantern and get even better features.

I realise that the 600D has the flip LCD, but there seems to be 150 difference for this, and also magic lantern is not available for the 600D so I am tempted to go for the old and trusted 550D at offer prices.

I guess I am a novice with an ambition to do lots of high quality video for online display, HDR stills and standard stills. I did have a look at the Sony A55, but came back to the 550D due to it greater manual controls.

Thoughts hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, nice to meet you on the forum. Have you seen page 105 in the May issue of WDC magazine?. There are 4 cameras which attract ratings of 90-91%, and all the 'tec-spec' is there for you to peruse. This section of the mag lists DSLR cameras between 600-1000, which seems to be your range given the info you have mentioned already. Of course there's others priced 1000-7000, most have HD movie mode as well, so there's much to look at enabling you to make an informed choice based on your research. I wish you success in finding your objective. All the best.