Default what lens for cannon 550d

hi we are keen to get the cannon EOS 550d with the 18-55m lens kit. Also keen to get a zoom lens but have no idea what to get. There is a twin package with the canon 55-250mm IS but not sure if this is actually any good. we have never used a dslr before so seek some advice on a zoom lens. want something easy to use, reasonable price. most of our shots will be of the kids (all under 5 at the moment), though we also travel a lot so scenery / monuments etc. any advice?? or dont we need a zoom at all?

Images

hi i have the canon 500d with a 18-55 lens witch comes with most canon cameras unless you buy just the body but the lens is a good all round lens for most things i also have the canon 55-250 is lens which has good review to the lens and very good picture quaility for the money you pay there are better lenses but come with a price tag but the 2 lenses you are talking about will fill your needs for the pictures you want to take hope this helps i love my lenses they are both good lenses
    Last edited by mayowalker; 20-04-11 at 09:58 PM.

thanks for that. I'm really not sure if it is necessary to get the second lens. Would the 18-55mm be enough for the picutres we take (may be a kind of obvious question, but we are newbie dslr users so apologies if this is a daft question

May I report that the lens I find to be the most useful is my 18-200mm. You have the wide angle bit(18mm) for group shots etc, and you also have a nice telephoto bit (200mm) for those subjects that you can't get near. Plus of course you have all the zoom lengths in between. The only time I take this lens off my camera is when I'm shooting sport from a long way off, then I use a 120-400mm lens. Please don't be put off by being new to DSLR's and keep asking your questions as there are loads of brilliant photographers who use the forum and will be very happy to assist you on any subject, I still consider myself a newcomer after taking pics for about 50 years now. All the best.
    Last edited by canismajor; 22-04-11 at 07:25 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by verybadhairdoo View Post
    thanks for that. I'm really not sure if it is necessary to get the second lens. Would the 18-55mm be enough for the picutres we take (may be a kind of obvious question, but we are newbie dslr users so apologies if this is a daft question
    the answer to your question which is not daft if we dont all ask we will never no is yes the 18-55 will do most your needs and if you find later you need a zoom you could always buy one later on if needed .but the 18-55 is a good all round lens for most pictures just see how you get on and upgrade later.