Thread: D700 vs 5d mkii

Images

Default D700 vs 5d mkii

Sometime in the (hopefully near) future i want to upgrade my camera equipment to either a Nikon D700 with 24-70 f2.8 or a Canon EOS 5D Mkii wi 24-70f2.8 and i was wondering what poeple thought was the way to go.
    I shoot a variety of subjects from landscape to wildlife (i know the 70mm isnt enough for wildlife)
    The main thing im looking for in the images is a cirtain clarity which i cant describe that you just dont get with cheaper cameras.

I currently own a Nikon D40 and a couple of cheap budget lenses which would be pointless on a expensive body hence the reaspn for not automatically sticking with Nikon

Images

Hi you have a short list so now go and try them. As you use nikon it will be familiar to you so you may be swayed in that direction.

Smile Nikon or Canon

Hi there.
    I have always found that the test reports in this great magazine are tops, and they have helped me a great deal over the years. I own a NikonD300 with 4 different lenses, I just love the camera and the images it produces. But the D700, wow I would love to own that, the camera may be affordable but have you seen the prices of FX lenses for this camera?. I am still trying to decide if I can afford to upgrade, but somehow I don't think it is an option at present. Getting back to the test reports, please check out carefully as much info as you can which will help you make a final choice. The May isue of WDC is full of such info, but at the end of the day it's down to affordability. If dosh was no barrier, I would order my D700 now and at least 4 lenses.
    You mentioned wildlife in your thread and suitable lenses, this is where it gets pricey, you see many times I find that my 120-400mm is just not powerful enough to grab small birds. Unless you are about 2-3 metres away you will need something like a 800mm or bigger. Check out the prices of such lenses but first be sure you are seated!!. You're welcome to contact me anytime if you think I can be of help. All the best.

Images

Thanks for the feedback, and that is a good point about the cost, which makes the D300s very tempting but as it happens its goint to be a while before i can afford either of them